Are you a Betty or a Veronica? Our guest blogger M·A·C Senior Artist Louise Zizzo shows you how to create the girl-next-door look that will have you looking like a modern-day Betty. If channeling your blonde ambitions is not your thing, don’t fret. Zizzo also whips up a vivacious look that only a Veronica could pull off. After these tips, whoever the Archie is in your life, you’ll have his head spinning with one hot makeup statement.
“To create the innocent sexiness of Betty…
Start with the eyes:
1. Using the Caramel Sundae Eye Shadow Palette, sweep Dreammaker Eye Shadow over the eyelid with a small flat brush (#239).
2. Blend Caramel Sundae Eye Shadow through the crease with a small buffing brush (#219) to create depth.
3. Using a small angled brush (#266), apply Showstopper Eye Shadow along the top and bottom lash line, keeping very close to the lash line to avoid thick, heavy liner.
4. Apply a coat of mascara (Extended Play Lash) to your top and bottom lashes.
5. To create the drawn-on lash look, rub Lord it Up Pearlglide Intense Eye Liner onto the back of your hand and dip a small angled brush (#266) into the color. Using small, precise strokes, draw lashes on to the outside edge of the eyelid, starting at the lash line, and then along the bottom lash line from corner to corner (think ’60s drawn-on lashes).
TIP: When using brushes to line the eyes, keep a crisp look by running the brush through your thumb and forefinger each time before you dip into the shadow. This will stop the brush from fanning out.
On the cheeks:
1. Apply Pink Swoon Sheertone Powder Blush with a soft blush brush (#168), starting on the apples of the cheeks and blending back toward the hairline. To create beautiful sheen, sweep Cheryl Chic Eye Shadow from the Caramel Sundae Eye Shadow Palette over the blush.
Finish the look with the lips:
1. Outline the lip, shading in slightly with In Anticipation Pro Longwear Lip Pencil.
2. Fill in the lip using a lip brush (#316) with Girl Next Door lipstick, and top it off with Stay Sweet Lip Gloss.
To create the flirty, seductive look of Veronica…
On the eyes:
1. Using the Spoiled Rich Eye Shadow Palette, brush Spoiled Rich Eye Shadow through the crease area with a small pencil brush (#219), keeping it quite intense and tapering up slightly toward the outer edge of the eye. Do not blend out.
2. Rub Designer Purple Pearlglide Intense Eye Liner onto the back of your hand. Use a small angled brush (#266) to dip into the color and line the top lash line, tapering up and out at the edge of the eye. Do the same on the bottom lash line, starting on the inner corner and then joining up to the top liner at the outer edge of the eye.
3. Dip the same angled brush (#266) into Ron Ron Run and Gravel Eye Shadow and press over the top and bottom liner to create depth and intensity.
4. Line the inside of the eye with Smolder Eye Kohl.
5. Apply a thick coat of mascara (Extended Play Lash) to top and bottom lashes.
6. Apply #36 lashes to the top lash line for added intensity.
Then for the cheeks:
1. With a soft blush brush (#168), lightly apply Prom Princess Powder Blush, starting on the apple of the cheek and blending back toward the hairline.
2. Dust Veronica’s Blush Pearlmatte Face Powder to the apple of the cheek in a circular buffing motion to create a very blended, barely-there look to the cheek.
TIP: When using deeper or more intense blush colors, swirl some face powder onto the blush brush first before dipping into the color. This will help control and diffuse the intensity and ensure an even application.
Complete the look with the lips:
1. Outline the lip with Cherry Lip Pencil and shade in slightly.
2. With lip brush (#316), fill in lips with Ronnie Red Lipstick and add Strawberry Malt Lipglass to finish.
TIP: To ensure symmetry with lips, especially when applying dark or bright colors: After lining, tilt head back slightly while looking in the mirror to see if the bottom lip line is even. To see if the top lip is even, tilt head slightly down while still looking in the mirror.
Discover the many amazing products featured in the Archie’s Girls Collection.
Face charts were created by our Beauty Stylist Elina Dugan at store 423 The Village At Corte Madera.
Find M·A·C Senior Artist Louise Zizzo on Twitter: @MAC_Louise_Z