John Stapleton, M·A·C Cosmetics Senior Artist, has the scoop on how to work runway colors into your everyday beauty routine usingM·A·C Playland.
Nothing looks better against bronzed, summery skin than a bright pop of color on lips, cheeks and eyes. But that doesn’t mean you have to wear them all together! Just in time for the season, M·A·C Playland offers an array of colors that can be worn off the runway for every day.
Turn the pin-up look upside down and swap out your red lip for orange! For a perfect orange lip and guaranteed lasting results: First apply Prep and Prime Lip. Then sketch along the perimeter of the lip line with a bright orange pencil for light to medium skin tones, using ‘Pro Longwear’ Lip Pencil in What a Blast!
Liquid and gel-based eyeliners make it a snap to give your eyes a precise pop—whether you want movie-star glam or something a little more fresh and funky. Here’s a down-and-dirty mini guide for a few easy eyeliner looks.
Our favorite trend right now? Midnight Bronze. Our beauty trend editor, Kate Fannin, and our national director of beauty, Debra Redmond, are teaming up to bring you the steps to achieve this gorgeous look for the coming spring and summer.
“Bronzed and glowing skin is always in for spring and summer. This season, we love touches of gold to enhance the overall ‘goddess’ look—especially at night. It all starts with a flawless complexion, and bronzer adds a warm glow for an overall radiance. Hints of gold on the eye and even lips add a cool metallic touch. For a more dramatic effect, try a flash of blue on the eye or nail. A pop of aqua or cobalt is perfect for summer!”
Nancy Nesby, a Beauty Stylist at The Grove in L.A., is getting us all excited about her favorite new 2-in-1 product—below, she tells us how to wear it this spring.
Hello, Nordstrom beauties!
Springtime is here, and when I think of spring, images of newly bloomed flowers, sweet chocolate and radiant sunshine come to mind. What better time than this to showcase my love affair with all things fresh and pretty and show off the new 2-in-1 Yves Saint Laurent Babydoll Kiss & Blush?
STEP 1: Paint nails one solid base color. STEP 2: Apply a thin coat of glitter nail polish starting at the base and ending halfway up. Next, layer on another coat of glitter nail polish starting at the base and ending a third of the way up to create an ombré effect. STEP 3: Show off your perfect prom mani!
The Look: Chevron
STEP 1: Paint nails one solid base color. STEP 2: Using a contrasting color, paint a thin angled line to create one side of the chevron (use tape if your hand’s unsteady!). Repeat on the other side to finish up. STEP 3: Your nails are ready to rock!
This Saturday, April 12, all Nordstrom stores will be hosting the BP. Social Saturday Prom Nail Party, where you and your girls can try the latest DIY nail trends. Plus, check out the large selection of prom dresses to match your nails! Get specific details on the event happening at a store near you.
Nobody really wants to talk about acne. But that doesn’t help solve any problems, so let’s just face it. Whether you have the occasional blemish or more of an ongoing problem, here are our top five tips to prevent and treat acne breakouts.
1. Get in good habits!Cleanse and moisturize (yes, even oily, acne-prone skin needs hydration) twice a day. Plus, always wash your face after you’ve been sweating and before bed (no matter how tempting it may be to crash on your pillow after a long day or night out).
2. Be skincare savvy. Using the wrong products for your skin can clog pores or be too harsh, robbing skin of its protective barrier. Look for a gentle cleanser that is fragrance free (fragrance is a common irritant) and contains salicylic acid and/or benzoyl peroxide. These are the top two most effective anti-acne ingredients on the market, and they work to break up dead skin cells that can clog pores. Try Clinique Acne Solutions—results have shown 37 percent clearer skin in just three days on active blemishes.
3. Don’t scrub. Avoid scrubbing your skin harshly with a washcloth, exfoliating glove or loofah. Excessive scrubbing can irritate the skin, causing existing ruptures to become even more inflamed. Instead, gently wash your face with clean hands. Even better, we suggest using an Acne Cleansing Brush Head on your CLARISONIC. This ultra-gentle cleansing brush delivers concentrated flushing of the pores and is safe for use on acne-prone skin.
4. Know what touches your face. Your phone, your hair, your makeup brushes, your hands…your face comes in contact with more than you may realize. Pay attention, and keep these things clean to avoid transmitting bacteria.
5. Take care of yourself. Although there’s no proven link between certain foods and acne, it still makes sense to avoid greasy food and junk food and add more fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains to your diet whenever possible. Keeping your skin and body hydrated by drinking lots of water is also smart. And don’t forget: regular exercise is good for your body, and so is taking time to relax! What better excuse for a Nordstrom Spa day?
This may be the first full week of spring, but warmer temps are still lagging behind (at least here in Seattle). We’ll just have to keep waiting to break out the sunny weather dresses and sandals. Sigh. In the meantime, at least we still can update any look with a fresh and fun mani. Here are a few nail polish ideas we’re loving while we’re waiting for those May flowers.
In this guest blog post: Lev Glazman (left), cofounder of Fresh, journeys to China to reveal the making of and inspiration for the highly sought-afterBlack Tea Skincare Collection.
Lev Glazman and Alina Roytberg founded Fresh in Boston in 1991.
This past November, we embarked on a highly anticipated trip to Hangzhou, China, one that brought us incredibly close to the source of most of our teas. Alina and I hosted editors from four different regions—China, Hong Kong, Korea and the United States—and completely immersed them in the rich history of tea—particularly black tea, the antioxidant-rich hero of our age-delay skincare that offers the ultimate in protection.
Some helpful tips from Cory when customizing this look:
1. Clean and prep the skin.
2. Go backward with your makeup application, and start with the lips instead of ending with them. By applying a ‘striking lip’ first, you can then tailor the rest of your makeup accordingly. How many times have you completed all of your makeup and added a bold lip last, only to realize that your flirty, romantic look turned into a dark and smoldering circus? Bonus with this method: you get the maximum output with the least amount of products.
3.Do not forget about skincare. The better the canvas is prepped, the better the topcoat lasts and looks. Plus, the better your skin looks, the less makeup you actually need!