No more wasting time trying out product after product to find your perfect foundation. In three easy steps, our new Foundation Guide steers you toward the one that’s just right for you. Analyzing every foundation in our arsenal, we do the legwork for you so you can find the right combination of coverage, formula and shade for your fabulously unique face. Bonus: our guide comes complete with stylist tips and advice. For even more, Live Chat with us or call 1.800.7beauty to book a free consultation with a Beauty Stylist at your favorite Nordstrom.
Kate Fannin, our beauty trend editor, knows how much we all covet a terrific tan during the summer. Here, she explains how to get that beach babe bronze without the harmful side effects.
Me soaking up the rays during my swim team days.
Remember when you were on the neighborhood swim team and were more concerned about your cheesy one-piece than the long-term effects of the sun? (See my 15-year-old self above for reference.) What I wouldn’t give to have that perfect tan shade again, albeit in a much SAFER way. Good news—you totally can, and with no chlorine or kickboard required. Here are some quick steps and picks for achieving the perfect “swim team” tan without risking serious sun damage:
1. Get Ready: Use a great body exfoliator or soap in the shower to prep the skin (shaving also helps). Some good options include Kate Somerville ‘ExfoliKate® Body’ Intensive Exfoliating Treatment or Fresh Seaberry Exfoliating Soap.
2. Get Set: Use a lotion or cream around areas that are susceptible to absorbing too much product (i.e., the often-dry parts) like heels, ankles, knees and elbows. A few of my faves are Estée Lauder ‘Nutritious’ Energy Lotion, L’Occitane Almond Milk Concentrate and Clinique Deep Comfort Body Moisture.
3. Tan!: With so many new formulas available, there’s definitely one for everybody—and every body! (Or face!) Check out Xen-Tan ‘Absolute Luxe’ Dark Lotion. It’s non-greasy and has no icky self-tanner odor—it even has Scent Secure technology to make sure. Also, St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse is a good bet—you can’t argue with an Allure “Best of Beauty” winner AND 5-star customer ratings!
One last tan tidbit…
If you’re in a hurry or traveling, try one of my “hall of fame” self-tanning favorites: Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glow Pads—travel-friendly towelettes that exfoliate AND give a gorgeous tan all in one! Use at night (after shower and before bed), and by morning, you’re gorgeously tanned and guaranteed to score compliments about your glowing skin! Best of all, they come in both face and body options.
And that’s my (tan) take!
Every year for our Anniversary Sale, CLARISONIC comes out with an exciting new pattern for its incredible skincare devices, which are exclusive to Nordstrom. This year, there are bright summery solids and pretty tropical patterns to give your skincare regimen a pop of colorful energy. We have a handful of different devices to choose from (including the coveted PLUS device), so you can pick one that’s right for your skin’s specific needs, and every set comes in a splashy travel bag to store your device and accessories.
CLARISONIC takes cleansing to the next level by using sonic technology to gently yet deeply cleanse pores without abrasion or harsh chemicals. It’s like a mini-massage for your face every morning. The devices remove six times more makeup than manual cleansing. This allows products to absorb better, meaning that your skin gets more from the skincare ingredients you already use. With consistent daily use, the CLARISONIC device will reduce dry skin patches, oily areas and blemishes, and it will instantly leave skin feeling and looking smoother. Like a mini spa treatment, it’s the perfect way to give yourself a little daily indulgence.
My mom and me
Growing up, I always admired how beautiful my mother was. She is my greatest inspiration: a fashion designer and artist who always rocked her own unique style. I was inspired to embrace my own kind of beauty and not be afraid to stand out. After exploring different positions in retail, I fell in love with being a beauty stylist. My goal is to bring true beauty from within. I want to inspire people to be their own kind of beautiful and feel confident in their own skin, just like my mother taught me.
I love being a beauty stylist because it allows me the freedom to not only express my creativity but to customize beautiful looks for every customer. As a beauty stylist, I can share my knowledge and teach people how to be their very best! I love that I’m able to provide personal product recommendations and create a one-of-a-kind beauty. I am your ‘go-to’ girl, your best friend for beauty and someone you can trust! I will be there whenever you need me and you can count on me to make your day an amazing one! I love what I do because it embraces all that I am and gives me the chance to share my beauty secrets and bring true beauty within everyone. Today, let me share my secret to flawless, radiant skin!
“Be the best version of you!” This was a fun one-on-one beauty master class I had with my customer Michelle, where we focused on achieving radiant skin.
Want to glow and shine bright like a diamond? This season is all about healthy, glowing skin, and I want to share with you some of my favorite products!
First, I cleanse by gently massaging Erno Laszlo ‘Phelityl’ Pre-Cleansing Oil into the skin. Then I dip my Erno Laszlo ‘Sea Mud’ Deep Cleansing Bar into warm water and massage the bar directly onto the face, rinsing with warm water after a few minutes.
Once the skin is cleansed, I protect with Clarins ‘Double Serum®’ Complete Age Control Concentrate before applying any makeup products. This powerful serum is made up of 20 pure plant extracts and potent, high-tech molecules. You will get firmer skin, reduced wrinkles, more even skin tone and less visible pores in just four weeks.
To add radiance, I use Laura Mercier ‘Radiance Bronze’ Primer to give skin a smooth, glowy surface. Wear this fabulous product alone or under your foundation for a sun-kissed glow. Hydrating, water-based gel preps skin with radiance. It’s formulated with a blend of jojoba oils and vitamins A, C and E to keep skin healthy.
Lastly, I touch up the face with CHANEL ‘Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Colour SPF 15′ powder to add a soft contour around the frame of the face. This is a beautiful product that will enhance, brighten and bronze for a custom glow with a sheer, luminous finish.
Whether we’re seeking out the sun or not, UV exposure is pretty much a given during the summer. We all know the risks of overexposure—from premature aging to sunspots and worse—but most of us still don’t apply protection every single day. Newsflash or not, the experts agree that everyday sunscreen is a must! Read on for their tips and recommendations.
Beach-bronzed skin is a summer must. But the consequences of overexposure are not so hot. Our experts Debra and Kate are sharing their top sun-care picks & tips and making it simple to soak up the rays without getting burned.
Nobody really wants to talk about acne. But that doesn’t help solve any problems, so let’s just face it. Whether you have the occasional blemish or more of an ongoing problem, here are our top five tips to prevent and treat acne breakouts.
1. Get in good habits! Cleanse and moisturize (yes, even oily, acne-prone skin needs hydration) twice a day. Plus, always wash your face after you’ve been sweating and before bed (no matter how tempting it may be to crash on your pillow after a long day or night out).
2. Be skincare savvy. Using the wrong products for your skin can clog pores or be too harsh, robbing skin of its protective barrier. Look for a gentle cleanser that is fragrance free (fragrance is a common irritant) and contains salicylic acid and/or benzoyl peroxide. These are the top two most effective anti-acne ingredients on the market, and they work to break up dead skin cells that can clog pores. Try Clinique Acne Solutions—results have shown 37 percent clearer skin in just three days on active blemishes.
3. Don’t scrub. Avoid scrubbing your skin harshly with a washcloth, exfoliating glove or loofah. Excessive scrubbing can irritate the skin, causing existing ruptures to become even more inflamed. Instead, gently wash your face with clean hands. Even better, we suggest using an Acne Cleansing Brush Head on your CLARISONIC. This ultra-gentle cleansing brush delivers concentrated flushing of the pores and is safe for use on acne-prone skin.
4. Know what touches your face. Your phone, your hair, your makeup brushes, your hands…your face comes in contact with more than you may realize. Pay attention, and keep these things clean to avoid transmitting bacteria.
5. Take care of yourself. Although there’s no proven link between certain foods and acne, it still makes sense to avoid greasy food and junk food and add more fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains to your diet whenever possible. Keeping your skin and body hydrated by drinking lots of water is also smart. And don’t forget: regular exercise is good for your body, and so is taking time to relax! What better excuse for a Nordstrom Spa day?
The start of the new year is a perfect time for turnover—we’re talking about the skin-cell kind, of course! Resolve to find your skin’s natural luminosity with products that give you a healthy glow, starting with the tools that make treatments even more effective to deliver clear, soft skin from your head to your heels. Your radiance begins now!
Ready, set, refresh! With the start of this new year, take some time to recharge and restore your skin with a few of our cult classic skincare faves.
You probably won’t find many feasts where thanks are being given for beauty products, but we think they deserve a little love today too. We polled a portion of our beauty team to find out what they’re most beholden to among their cosmetics crop:
I’m thankful for my CLARISONIC® Skincare Brush because I’ve been using it for almost ten years, and am convinced that’s how many years it has taken off my face! It’s probably the reason I’ve been carded twice in the last six months. —Kate Fannin, Beauty Trend Editor
I’m thankful for my Clé de Peau Concealer, because it’s the perfect travel companion for easy touch-ups on the go. With just one product, it’s bon voyage to dark circles, spots and unwanted imperfections! —Debra Redmond, National Beauty Director
I’m thankful for my diptyque ‘Do Son’ Eau de Toilette, because this scent takes me back to my honeymoon in Ha Long Bay, Vietnam. It’s such a beautiful white floral fragrance, so clean and fresh. —Natalie Kraft, Beauty Marketing Manager
I’m thankful for my Yves Saint Laurent Baby Doll Mascara, because I’m an incurable night-owl, and this eye-opening, luscious-lash-making miracle is my key to look less Walking Dead at work. —Stefanie Frank, Beauty Features Writer
I’m thankful for my SK-II Facial Treatment Masks, because I love instant gratification, and when I use one of these in the morning, my skin glows all day. —Autumne West, Assistant Skincare Buyer