M·A·C Senior Artist Cynthia Rivas introduces the new A Novel Romance Collection with a how-to guide for re-creating three different sultry looks, inspired by the tongue-in-cheek campaign imagery.
All three looks are focused around subtle pops of color against beautiful and natural looking skin, so begin each look by applying your favorite foundation and perfecting the skin. I recommend a lightweight, natural foundation, like M·A·C Mineralize Moisture SPF 15 Foundation, set with Mineralize Skinfinish Natural to give skin a romantic glow.
If you need more coverage, you can conceal any imperfections with (my secret weapon) Pro Longwear Concealer.
Once your skin is perfected, you can then focus on the rest of the look.
Seduction of a Scot
A look to make the eyes pop—for someone who isn’t afraid of color.
1. Start by applying Fluidline Eye Pencil in ‘Deep Blue Sea’ all over the lid, from lash line to crease. Blend the edges with a soft fluffy brush like the 217 Blending Brush.
2. Blend Electric Cool Eye Shadow in ‘Switch to Blue’ over the lid, then soften the edges again with the brush.
3. Apply a healthy coat of black mascara. Finish by lining the waterline with Eye Kohl in ‘Fascinating’ to make eyes appear larger.
4. Apply Powder Blush in ‘Animal Instincts’ to the apples of the cheeks.
5. Define your lip shape with Lip Pencil in ‘Hip ‘N’ Happy ‘ and gloss them up with Lipglass in ‘Reckless Desire’ for the perfect kissable lips.
Scandal on the High Seas
A focus on the eyes using neutral tones.
1. Smooth on Pro Longwear Paint Pot in ‘Indianwood’ from lash line to crease.
2. Start with the ‘My Fantasy’ color from the ‘A Novel Romance’ Eyeshadow Palette all over your eyelids. Contour your eyes with Eyeshadow in ‘Wedge’. Line the top lash line with Fluidline Pencil in ‘Earth Sign’ to help create a fuller lash line.
3. Finish by curling lashes and applying Mineralize Multi-Effect Lash on both the top and bottom lashes.
4. Give cheeks a perfect blushing tone with Powder Blush in ‘Fun Ending’.
5. Define lips with Pro Longwear Lip Pencil in ‘Etcetera’, followed by Lipstick in ‘Myself’. Add a pouty effect by dabbing a small amount of Lipglass in ‘Pure Fiction’ to the center of the lips.
A soft, romantic look for every day.
1. Apply Cream Color Base in ‘Pearl’ to eyelids, and also to cheekbones for highlighting.
2. Press Electric Cool Eye Shadow in ‘Love Power’ all over eyelids and blend Eyeshadow in ‘Wedge’ into the contour/crease of eye, creating a softened look.
3. Curl lashes and apply Haute & Naughty Too Black Lash to both top and bottom lashes.
4. Apply Powder Blush in ‘Fun Ending’ to cheeks, smiling while you do so to get the cheekbones at that angle. For lips, create a kissable, stained lip look by mixing Lipstick shades ‘Myself’ and ‘Good Kisser’, and press onto lips with fingers.
Follow Cynthia on Twitter for daily beauty tips and how-tos: @MAC_Cynthia_R.