Create this casual-chic updo in six steps from the experts at SARAHPOTEMPA—as seen on the spring 2014 Fashion Week runway at Badgley Mischka.
Toss that “dog days” misnomer into the pool: these easy, breezy hairdos offer maximum style with minimum prep (because who wants to spend even more time with heat?)—to make it a summer of loveliness.
The Beachy Bob: Summer-ize your shoulder-length tresses with soft waves.
1. For the texture that’s key to this look, use soft pomade warmed in your fingers and rake it through your hair before blow-drying. We like: blowpro mane tame soft pomade
2. Starting 2 inches from your part, use a curling rod to create soft, loose curls. Alternate directions for the most natural look; run your fingers through the curls to make some waves. We like: Sultra The Bombshell Oval Rod Curling Iron
3. Use a humidity-blocking hairspray to keep your waves wilt- and frizz-free. We like: Living Proof Hold Humidity-Blocking Flexible Hairspray
A Breezy Bun: The ubiquitous up-do goes low and loose.
1. Use an ultra-fast blow dryer, focusing on your roots to pump up the volume. We like: T3 Featherweight 2 Dryer
2. Spritz dry hair with texturizing spray to add dimension and shape. Gather your hair at the nape of your neck, then twist, coil and secure with hairpins. We like: OSCAR BLANDI Pronto Texture & Volume Spray
3. Use a flexible-hold hairspray to hold the look and keep wisps at bay. We like: ALTERNA Caviar Anti-Aging Working Hair Spray
Halo Braiding: A carefree, boho look for long hair.
1. Work in relaxing balm before drying for smoother, straighter hair. We like: PHYTO Phytodéfrisant Botanical Hair-Relaxing Balm
2. Backcomb your dry hair to create a slight pouf. Start braids above each ear; tuck them under each other and secure with pins or join them in back with a ponytail holder. Flat-iron the hair below to smooth extra curls and frizz. We like: KeratinPerfect PerfectLight Infrared Smoothing Iron
3. Use a medium-hold, shiny hairspray for a healthy look that stays in place. We like: B. the Product Spray
Check out more summer ’dos and how-tos in our monthly Beauty on the Spot site experience.
Whip that bun into shape with the Sultra ‘Uptown Chic’ Bun Shaper. Get your updo on in no time, and create a look that’s sleek and smooth or loose and tousled—no sacrificial socks required.
How to use:
1. Pull hair into a ponytail, and thread the ponytail through the middle of the bun shaper.
2. Lay hair over bun shaper.
3. Wind ends of hair around shaper, tucking under as you go, securing with pins.
Watch as Sultra Artistic Director, Omar Lopez shows how this secure, so-easy bun is done.
Get Octavia Spencer’s sleek and chic top knot from the 2013 Oscars with tips from her hair stylist, Jill Crosby and T3.
“Octavia is wearing a Tadashi Shoji dress with beautiful tulle, which (to me) resembled a ballerina. I wanted her look to be youthful and soft to complement the dress. I added the bangs to soften the look, along with a ventilated hairpiece that was color-blended to match her hair.”
“Octavia was freaking out; she loved it!” —Jill Crosby
Curl: Once the hair is smoothed, put it up into a high ponytail and curl it with T3 SinglePass Twirl Curling Iron.
Extend: Add a full, pre-curled hair extension piece to the ponytail. To prepare extensions, take large sections of hair and wrap them around the barrel of the curling iron in a corkscrew style to create big, loose waves.
Finish: Once the hairpiece is pinned in, work the ponytail into a wavy chignon—use a 2.5-inch straight pin to pin it back. Don’t be too gentle when making the chignon. Don’t try to make it too perfect, or it’ll go ‘prom-ish.’ Let there be some natural texture to it.
Our top three favorites from today were each unique in their own way. At the Kimberly Ovitz show, Aveda created an avant-garde rendition of the 1920s finger-wave. We loved watching the stylist, Antoinette Beenders, make this artistic look happen by wrapping hair in thin, black string–a technique she referred to as “corseting the hair.” It was like the hair had a protective armor.
Later at Tadashi Shoji, we were enamored by a textured roll that was twisted and overlapped around the back of the head in intertwined pieces. Inspiration was taken from girls running through a forest. The strong shape of the style–paired with the matte texture of the hair–created a look that was all at once wearable and unique.
Last, we lusted over the sleek, polished ponytail at Sachin & Babi. The pony sat high on the head and swung down the models’ backs when they turned their heads. Time to grow your pony out, ladies.
Common theme? None! We loved the diversity of the different looks, and we wanted to borrow all the hair styling products we saw to try out each one!
Yearning for a romantic yet whimsical hairdo? Opt for an intricate fishtail braid that is on trend now and will be into the New Year. Get the tips you need to re-create this braided beauty at home.
The Tools & Products You Need to Re-create This Look
1 & 2: When it comes to hair-straightening tools, we’re obsessed with the Sultra ‘The Diva’ Pressing Iron. While you wait for your Sultra to warm up, protect your strands with a few spritzes of Aveda ‘brilliant’ Damage Control.
3: If you have extremely curly hair, skip out on product #2 and try PHYTO ‘Phytodéfrisant’ Botanical Hair Relaxing Balm. Tame your curly locks and add shine, by working a quarter size amount of the balm throughout the hair.
4: Keep this fabulous look in place using a great hairspray like blowPro ‘after blow’ strong hold finishing spray.
Dazzle on your next date night with an effortless hairstyle. Sleek, slicked-back dos are a must for any occasion, as the look can easily be dressed up or down with hair accessories. Find out how to create the perfectly polished ponytail in five easy steps.
1. Prep hair with a heat-protecting product. Try OSCAR BLANDI ‘Pronto’ Dry Styling Heat Protect Spray.
2. Using a comb, separate hair into two sections from top to bottom. Straighten the crown of your hair, working down from root to tip. Sultra ‘The Seductress’ Curl, Wave & Straight Iron will get your strands bone-straight in an instant.
3. Tie hair back with Emi-Jay Hair Ties with snag-free elastic.
4. Wrap a piece of hair around the base of your ponytail to hide the elastic, then pin in place.
5. Finish with a glossy spray. We’re loving the Living proof ‘Straight’ Styling Hairspray.
Get the tools you need and shop our hairstyling products.