Our National Beauty Director, Debra Redmond is here to make sure we’re all getting the most out of our mascara with a little schooling on the basics. Read on to get all of Deb’s expert tips.
This Saturday only (November 9): It’s Mascara Madness. Buy 2 mascaras and get 1 free! Mix and match 3 mascaras from your favorite brands, and we’ll automatically deduct the cost of the lowest-priced mascara in Checkout. No promo code required! It’s a perfect time to stock up on your favorites—or try something new.
Speaking of madness, don’t let your mascara drive you crazy. Here are five expert tips to keep you levelheaded about your lashes.
1. Longer lashes. It’s the mascara that you apply at the base of your lashes that makes them appear longer—not at the tips—so give the wand some extra wiggle as you start before extending it out.
2. Dump the clump. Use a clean mascara wand (you can clean and upcycle an old one) and draw it through your lashes when they’re wet to prep, or use it to gently remove clumps after applying your layers.
3. Water safety. We love a good tube of waterproof mascara, but you should consider using it only when you really need that extra protection. Regularly removing waterproof mascara can be harsh on the delicate skin around the eyes and can also dry out your lashes. For everyday wear, a quality mascara or one that’s merely water-resistant will do the job nicely.
4. Extra volume. Turn it up by applying a little powder to your lashes as a base. It helps give the mascara something extra to grip on to.
5. Resist the pump. All that in-and-out motion introduces extra air into the tube, which dries out your formula more quickly and leads to less-than-stellar results.
Yves Saint Laurent’s new ‘Volume Effet Faux Cils’ Baby Doll Mascara may be girly, but there’s nothing ‘little’ about it. On one side, thick, spaced bristles coat lashes and create volume; on the other, fine, close bristles hit even the tiniest lashes to create a lush fringe. The effect: a wide-open look that’s seductive and stunning. To promote the mascara’s launch, the brand created this video starring model, actress and all-around It Girl Cara Delevingne.
Naughty and nice: The mascara comes in four playfully named shades: Fetish Black, Indiscreet Purple, Audacious Blue and Wheedler Brown.
Hey, baby: To get Cara’s dolled-up look, complement your Baby Doll Mascara with Yves Saint Laurent’s ‘City Drive – Classy’ Eyeshadow Palette, ‘Eyeliner Effet Faux Cils’ Bold Felt Tip Eyeliner Pen and ‘Rouge Volupté Shine – Rose in Tension’ Lipstick (a Nordstrom exclusive).
Need a reason to get more luscious lashes? This Saturday only (November 3), when you purchase two of your favorite mascaras, you can try a new brand on us! After picking out your two go-to brands, choose your free mascara from the ten shown below, for the extra volume and length you crave. Clear some time in your Saturday, and RSVP on Nordstrom’s Facebook page.
“Mascara is simple and easy, and it helps to really bring out the eye. I believe it’s the one thing you should never leave home without,” says Tawni Hart, Nordstrom Beauty Director. Get Tawni’s expert tips in our ‘Mascara How To’ video!
It’s time to vote for your favorite products in beauty! Why? How about for a chance to win the top 12 products, plus a $500 shopping spree with a Beauty Stylist. And two runners-up will also win the top 12 products. Yes, please.
With thousands of votes so far, here’s our play-by-play of your top products, with the current first-place contender on the left, followed by the second on the right. Don’t see the products you love in the lead? Vote now and vote daily, through September 10 (ends 1pm ET)! Winners will be announced September 17.
The time is right for brash swaths of color, from pretty pouts to neon nails. Here are four tips for getting a look no one will outshine.
2 – Lash Out. Want your eyes to look brighter and more wide-open? Who doesn’t? Apply a deep black on your top lashes and layer a subtle brown on your lower lashes. Hello, doe eyes. [Pictured: Estée Lauder Sumptuous Two Tone Eye-Opening Mascara]
3 – Scents of Humor. Feminine, happy and perfectly sweet, a delicious fragrance is just one more way to show off your colorful side. [Pictured: Prada Candy Eau de Parfum Spray]
4 – French Mani Gone Wild. Sure, you can wear one of these pop colors alone, but try going bolder: paint your first coat in one shade then just your tips (or moons) in another. Mais oui! [Pictured: Deborah Lippmann Run the World (Girls) Neon Mini Nail Lacquer Set]