OK, maybe you don’t have a beard. But here’s the thing: we’re betting you know someone who does.
’Twas the season to indulge, friends, but now ’tis the season to atone. Throughout the month of January, we’ll be bringing you all sorts of Wellness Realness—information and inspiration you can use to get out of lax mode and into good-for-you mode. Or at least stop eating cookies for lunch and skipping your morning run.
Amanda Torres isn’t just part of the team of knowing voices at the other end of the line when you connect with our online Beauty Stylist program. She’s also a self-described gym rat, which makes her the perfect person to help you fill your virtual gym bag with sweat-proof beauty products for your workout.
“My love for fitness stems from a resolution-turned-reality when I lost 75 pounds between 2013 and 2014,” Torres told us. “I find myself at the gym five nights a week, and I know that even with my extensive beauty background, being beautiful at the gym can be tough!“
Notice she doesn’t say impossible. Nope. Our beauty pro has the eight products you need—and lots of good tips too. In fact, we’ll just slide on over and give her the floor.
Our beauty trend editor Kate Fannin shares 8 kinds of products and her tips to get your skin healthy and glowing this winter.
I admit it—sometimes I put my face above an open dishwasher just after it’s finished, close my eyes, enjoy the steam and imagine I’m in a fancy spa in the snowy mountains of Switzerland (this also works while steeping tea*…just be sure your face is clean, at a safe distance and you can assure any doubting onlookers that it’s all for your health).
With the overindulgent holidays behind us, we all feel a little over-glittered and a lot under-hydrated, so January is the perfect time to “plump up” your skin care (pun intended). Along with my “DIY facial,” here are a few other ideas that will help your skin detox, refresh, rehydrate and get prepped for spring beauty trends (kitchen steaming optional).
Me visiting one of the many amazing glaciers in Iceland last year!
1. No need to overthink your cleanser with Dr. Dennis Gross’s new Color Smart Cleanser—it literally changes colors as it’s working! Plus, it’s an anti-ager that’s loaded with vitamin C and antioxidants (in case you haven’t hit reset on your diet just yet).
Nobody really wants to talk about acne. But that doesn’t help solve any problems, so let’s just face it. Whether you have the occasional blemish or more of an ongoing problem, here are our top five tips to prevent and treat acne breakouts.
1. Get in good habits! Cleanse and moisturize (yes, even oily, acne-prone skin needs hydration) twice a day. Plus, always wash your face after you’ve been sweating and before bed (no matter how tempting it may be to crash on your pillow after a long day or night out).
2. Be skincare savvy. Using the wrong products for your skin can clog pores or be too harsh, robbing skin of its protective barrier. Look for a gentle cleanser that is fragrance free (fragrance is a common irritant) and contains salicylic acid and/or benzoyl peroxide. These are the top two most effective anti-acne ingredients on the market, and they work to break up dead skin cells that can clog pores. Try Clinique Acne Solutions—results have shown 37 percent clearer skin in just three days on active blemishes.
3. Don’t scrub. Avoid scrubbing your skin harshly with a washcloth, exfoliating glove or loofah. Excessive scrubbing can irritate the skin, causing existing ruptures to become even more inflamed. Instead, gently wash your face with clean hands. Even better, we suggest using an Acne Cleansing Brush Head on your CLARISONIC. This ultra-gentle cleansing brush delivers concentrated flushing of the pores and is safe for use on acne-prone skin.
4. Know what touches your face. Your phone, your hair, your makeup brushes, your hands…your face comes in contact with more than you may realize. Pay attention, and keep these things clean to avoid transmitting bacteria.
5. Take care of yourself. Although there’s no proven link between certain foods and acne, it still makes sense to avoid greasy food and junk food and add more fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains to your diet whenever possible. Keeping your skin and body hydrated by drinking lots of water is also smart. And don’t forget: regular exercise is good for your body, and so is taking time to relax! What better excuse for a Nordstrom Spa day?
The start of the new year is a perfect time for turnover—we’re talking about the skin-cell kind, of course! Resolve to find your skin’s natural luminosity with products that give you a healthy glow, starting with the tools that make treatments even more effective to deliver clear, soft skin from your head to your heels. Your radiance begins now!
Ready, set, refresh! With the start of this new year, take some time to recharge and restore your skin with a few of our cult classic skincare faves.
Change up your beauty routine with high-tech tools designed to invigorate and pamper your skin.
1. LANCER Microcurrent Power Boost Device (Nordstrom Exclusive)
A FIRST-OF-ITS KIND TOOL: Designed to optimize the skin’s electrical potential while gently massaging facial muscles and stimulating the deep layers of the skin, where collagen and new skin cells are produced.
How to Use: Glide over the contours of your face and neck. Each glide should be about 5 seconds long. Repeat 3 times in each area. For specific target areas, hold the device in a stationary position for 5 seconds. Treat the affected area for up to 10 minutes. Rinse after each use and dry with a cloth. Use daily or as needed.
PRO RESULTS/AT-HOME CONVENIENCE: Me is the only at-home hair-removal device to use patented elos technology, which is clinically proven and FDA-cleared to be safe and effective for all skin types.
How to Use: To prepare the skin for a me treatment, first you need to remove the hair from the surface of your skin by shaving or waxing. This will ensure that the elos energy is focused on the hair follicles beneath the surface for optimal efficacy.
THE 30-SECOND EYE LIFT: Opal helps infuse serum more effectively than manual application for younger-looking eyes. Just 30 seconds around each eye immediately firms, hydrates and refreshes skin.
How to Use: Following the rim of bone outlining the eye area, gently glide the applicator tip over the skin using small, overlapping circular motions. Do not use on the soft tissue under the eye or on the eyelids. The sonic infuser will automatically turn off after 30 seconds. Gently tap any remaining serum into the skin using your ring finger. Apply additional serum to the applicator tip and repeat on your other eye.
Discover the latest and greatest Tools & Devices.
We shared a few of our favorite Allure Best of Beauty Makeup Award winners for 2013. Now let’s look at keeping your skin—the canvas for it all—looking healthy and radiant with some skincare showstoppers.
See how your favorite beauty products stacked up, and discover some new ones; check out all the winners at Nordstrom in our Allure Best of Beauty Award Winners boutique.
Five of our Beauty Stylists share their top tips for transitioning your makeup and beauty regimes from summer to fall.
Victoria Levy: Nordstrom Downtown Seattle, WA
Trade glossy coral lips for a rich, matte burgundy, and keep your light summer shadows intact. Bonus: Use a stippling brush to buff the same color on the apples of your cheeks for a monotone blush effect—like NARS Lipstick in Scarlet Empress and Giorgio Armani Rouge Ecstasy in #510 Dolce.
Turn your favorite waterproof gel liner into the season’s simplest smokey eye. Use a bullet brush to smudge liner from the lash line up into the crease—with a windshield-wiping motion, diffuse the color out until you’ve created a soft, hazy effect over the entire lid. For added drama, build color under the eye and connect at the outer corner. I love the classic Bobbi Brown Gel Liner!
Iris Brostowicz: Nordstrom Michigan Avenue, IL
I recommend that customers exfoliate at least twice-weekly during seasonal transitions with Kate Somerville ExfoliKate — with 3 versions, there’s one for everyone! It helps to remove the excess cells that build up on the skin—specifically around the nose and brows, which makes foundation look thick or cakey when applied.
As we move toward winter, when the skin can look sallow, I suggest customers switch to a luminizing primer, like Laura Mercier Radiance Primer. The benefit is that the skin looks more radiant and bright under foundation, as if it is lit from within. The customer can also press it on the cheekbones for a pick-me-up look, whether midday or just before leaving the office. For a more purse-friendly option, use Smashbox Halo Highlighting Wand to add brightness.
Jennifer Kochenour: Nordstrom The Plaza at King of Prussia, PA
Brighten your complexion with a highlighter. One of my favorites is NARS Blush in Nico. It has a satin texture with just a touch of glow. I love to apply this with the Laura Mercier Cheek Brush to the highest points of the cheeks, the center of the forehead and the edge of the top lip to enhance the cupid’s bow. For a very fair complexion, Nico may also be used as a brightener applied all over using a NARS Yachiyo #27 Kabuki Brush.
Sarah Zaret: Nordstrom Mission Viejo, CA
Transitioning your makeup wardrobe from summer to fall is pretty easy. Make sure to have a good bronzer on hand, but one that still matches your décolleté area. Bobbi Brown Bronzing Powder is amazing, and helps to color-correct as well as maintain your faux glow.
Picking out a new lipstick that you can incorporate into your summer makeup is an easy way to transition your look into fall, and it will keep you looking on trend. I recommend trying the new Bordeaux lip. NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Palais Royal is one of my favorites—it’s a pencil and lipstick all in one, that feels great and is easy to use!
Paploua Xiong: Nordstrom The Mall of Georgia, GA
Use your tinted moisturizer and mix it in with heavier fall foundation to create more coverage. I love taking CHANEL Soleil Tan de Chanel Sheer Illuminating Fluid and blending it with other foundations to create a more airbrushed look.
For lips, I like using my summer pinks, but adding a darker liner to create that deep bordeaux lip for fall and give more dimension.
Want even more tips and advice? Book a complimentary Beauty Stylist appointment today.
Maximize what can be done in a day with Shiseido’s Ibuki, a new line of purifying cleansers and protective moisturizers that smooth and balance the complexion.
Ibuki is designed to visibly correct imperfections by targeting dryness, dullness, uneven skin tone, blemishes, roughness and visible pores.
Why we love it:
* Corrects imperfections
* Strengthens skin’s resistance inside and out
* Fortifies and invigorates skin on a cellular level
* Achieves smooth, trouble-free skin now and in the future
Get to know Juliya, a private chef with a physically demanding job, who put these “ready for anything” products to the test.