’Twas the season to indulge, friends, but now ’tis the season to atone. Throughout the month of January, we’ll be bringing you all sorts of Wellness Realness—information and inspiration you can use to get out of lax mode and into good-for-you mode. Or at least stop eating cookies for lunch and skipping your morning run.
Amanda Torres isn’t just part of the team of knowing voices at the other end of the line when you connect with our online Beauty Stylist program. She’s also a self-described gym rat, which makes her the perfect person to help you fill your virtual gym bag with sweat-proof beauty products for your workout.
“My love for fitness stems from a resolution-turned-reality when I lost 75 pounds between 2013 and 2014,” Torres told us. “I find myself at the gym five nights a week, and I know that even with my extensive beauty background, being beautiful at the gym can be tough!“
Notice she doesn’t say impossible. Nope. Our beauty pro has the eight products you need—and lots of good tips too. In fact, we’ll just slide on over and give her the floor.
It happens to all of us: you’re having a great time, stay a little later than planned—and indulge in a few extra sips of champagne. Beauty Stylist Marine Sargsyan from Nordstrom The Grove has a few tips and tricks that she says will “fool everyone into thinking you got a full night’s worth of beauty sleep.” Here’s her recipe for curing a beauty hangover.
1. Water, Water and Water: It’s key for a healthy glow, so keep your skin hydrated. Up your water intake throughout the night, before you go to bed and when you wake up. I add a mist to the mix. Mario Badescu has a refreshing, hydrating spray I love. Formulated simply with fragrant herbal extracts, aloe and rosewater, it’s a pleasant pick-me-up for dehydrated, tight and uncomfortable skin. Perfect for the morning after a long, fun night!
2. De-puff and Refresh: Use an eye cream that will help with puffiness and the look of fatigue. I am currently obsessed with Algenist’s eye renewal balm. This eye cream will not only help decrease puffiness, it will also hydrate the eye area. Alguronic acid, vitamin C, caffeine, cucumber, aloe and green tea extracts help to recharge your appearance all day. Bonus: it’s perfect for men and women.
3. Beige Fake-Out: Here’s a great beauty secret for a more wide-eyed look: Use a beige-colored eyeliner in the waterline. Why? This will help your eyes look brighter and more awake. Smashbox has a great eyeliner that really does the trick. Plus, it’s a self-sharpening eyeliner, so you get a precise tip every time.
4. Divert Focus to Where You Want It: Start by curling your top lashes and then load them up with your favorite mascara. The trick is to only apply mascara to your top lashes to draw attention away from any puffiness below. Lancôme Hypnôse Drama is one of my go-to mascaras for volume, length and curl. It’s a triple threat and just the thing for the morning after.
5. Bronzer and Blush: Give your skin the look of a beautiful glow by applying bronzer to the perimeter of the face and blush only on the apples of your cheeks. The NARS blush and bronzer duo is not only compact, but perfect for both early mornings and late nights!
“I love making women feel beautiful and empowered,” says Beauty Stylist Nadia Tyby at Nordstrom Fashion Island in Newport Beach, CA. “And everything about make-up is about a feeling.“ If, as the holiday season approaches, the feeling you’re going for is sparkly and bright, Tyby can help with that, too. The four-year Nordstrom beauty pro says she’s already got her favorite Adrianna Papell shimmering party dress primed for party duty, and she was more than happy to turn us on to the three top tools in her glitter bag.
For the face: “I am obsessed with beautiful luminating skin. Shimmer Brick by Bobbi Brown is a perfect balance of shimmer and radiance leaving the skin looking healthy and youthful.”
For the eyes: “Adorn your eyes by pressing perfectly sparkly Mac Pressed Pigments onto the lids. Totally dresses up any outfit. Feeling a little sassy? Before applying your shadow, Spray Fix Plus on to your shadow brush and then pack that pigment on!”
For the lips: “Dior Golden Shock – Addict is pretty amazing. It’s lightweight and plumping, creating fuller luscious lips that say ‘kiss me.’”
Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick | MAC Pressed Pigments | Dior Golden Shock – Addict
SHOP: Sparkling Accents
Connect with a Beauty Stylist
Go for an original Halloween look with the helping hand and artistry of a Nordstrom Beauty Stylist. Elaine Raymond, our Beauty Marketing Planner, took a trip to our Seattle flagship store and enlisted the assistance of Beauty Stylist Cory Treadwell, who created a spooky-chic look in a few easy steps.
Inspiration: Katy Perry’s deer/alien look in the music video “E.T.”
Curious? See the whole transformation on our Beauty Blog with step-by-step how-to instructions.
What could be better than having someone do your shopping for you and offer expert fashion advice? Nothing. Unless it’s totally complimentary…and it is!
Get connected with your newest go-to friend in fashion with our new Stylist pages. They have all the info you need to learn about and make an appointment with one of our Personal, Beauty or Wedding Stylists.
Your Personal Stylist can set up a dressing room full of items handpicked just for you. A Beauty Stylist can offer tips on achieving glowing results, and a Wedding Stylist is there for you and your entire wedding party from engagement to honeymoon.
Learn more, and book an appointment, at our new Nordstrom Stylists hub.