“Delicate, refined beauty” were the words renowned makeup artist James Kaliardos used to describe his stunning makeup creation for NARS cosmetics at Rodarte today. We immediately noticed light literally bouncing off the model’s skin, which made us wonder—it’s the middle of winter, how is skin this pearlescent even possible? That was our first moment of wonder. The second happened when we saw the gorgeous glint coming from the models’ eyes. Being the beauty girls that we are, we flocked for a closer inspection. We were delighted to see sparkle underneath the eyes and just knew: this look was our spirit animal.
It happens to all of us: you’re having a great time, stay a little later than planned—and indulge in a few extra sips of champagne. Beauty Stylist Marine Sargsyan from Nordstrom The Grove has a few tips and tricks that she says will “fool everyone into thinking you got a full night’s worth of beauty sleep.” Here’s her recipe for curing a beauty hangover.
1. Water, Water and Water: It’s key for a healthy glow, so keep your skin hydrated. Up your water intake throughout the night, before you go to bed and when you wake up. I add a mist to the mix. Mario Badescu has a refreshing, hydrating spray I love. Formulated simply with fragrant herbal extracts, aloe and rosewater, it’s a pleasant pick-me-up for dehydrated, tight and uncomfortable skin. Perfect for the morning after a long, fun night!
2. De-puff and Refresh: Use an eye cream that will help with puffiness and the look of fatigue. I am currently obsessed with Algenist’s eye renewal balm. This eye cream will not only help decrease puffiness, it will also hydrate the eye area. Alguronic acid, vitamin C, caffeine, cucumber, aloe and green tea extracts help to recharge your appearance all day. Bonus: it’s perfect for men and women.
3. Beige Fake-Out: Here’s a great beauty secret for a more wide-eyed look: Use a beige-colored eyeliner in the waterline. Why? This will help your eyes look brighter and more awake. Smashbox has a great eyeliner that really does the trick. Plus, it’s a self-sharpening eyeliner, so you get a precise tip every time.
4. Divert Focus to Where You Want It: Start by curling your top lashes and then load them up with your favorite mascara. The trick is to only apply mascara to your top lashes to draw attention away from any puffiness below. Lancôme Hypnôse Drama is one of my go-to mascaras for volume, length and curl. It’s a triple threat and just the thing for the morning after.
5. Bronzer and Blush: Give your skin the look of a beautiful glow by applying bronzer to the perimeter of the face and blush only on the apples of your cheeks. The NARS blush and bronzer duo is not only compact, but perfect for both early mornings and late nights!
It was a scorcher, but Jen managed to beat the heat and maintain her summertime chic. This sweet frock is the perfect hue, and I love the creative hemline. Embroidery details are so hot this summer, and Jen’s dress modernizes the trend. Classic ankle booties and a red lip complete this festival look.
Meet Shannon, our Downtown Seattle Store Personal Stylist Manager. We tapped her to share what she and her customers are loving most for summer. Here’s a list of her top 10 favorites.
1. Trouvé Faded Denim Shirt. Denim is still in; wear it as a shirt or leave it open and throw it over a great summer dress.
2. NARS ‘Thakoon’ Nail Polish. I love these bright, fun colors! They are limited-edition, so once they’re gone, they’re gone.
3. Tracey Reese Cowl Neck Dress. Yellow is the ‘it’ color. This piece is effortless and breezy—perfect for any special occasion for summer. Need a dress to wear to a wedding? Check!
4. Sequin Small Crystal Station Enamel Bangle. Layer these on to create some chunky accents with all of your lighter pieces. You can wear one or five and create a unique look every time.
5. Ali Ro Short Sleeve Anorak. The perfect summer jacket, it’s lightweight and stylish. Transition into fall by layering a long-sleeve top underneath.
6. Ray-Ban ‘Classic Wayfarer’ 50mm Sunglasses. Who doesn’t adore these updated, casual colors? My favorite is the matte grey brown—they go with everything.
7. DVF ‘Drew Connect-Dia Jacquard’ Shoulder Bag. The perfect combination of function and trend. Get it now and be set for fall.
8. Superga ‘Cotu’ Sneakers. These are all the rage right now! Cool, classic and comfortable for everyday ventures. Choose a basic or go bold with a fun fashion color for summer and pair them with your printed bottoms!
9. Splendid Print Short. What a great way to transition into summer while staying on trend with printed bottoms. I love this pattern, because it’s subtle and easy to wear with so many things—great with a denim shirt and Superga sneakers to complete the look!
10. Johnathan Adler Gothic Rose’ iPhone Case. Our phones need updating too. I just bought this and LOVE it.
Hope everyone has a great and sunny summer!
Looking for even more recommendations for a perfect summer wardrobe? Contact Shannon or a Personal Stylist at a store near you to make a complimentary appointment.
We asked you for your burning beauty questions, and we got answers from the NARS Creative Director and founder, François Nars. Still have more questions? Meet François Nars when he appears in store during his new book tour for Makeup Your Mind: Express Yourself.
Q: What’s the best way to update my look for spring and summer?
A: Experiment with bright hues and lighter textures. I love the way bold colors pop against bronzed skin.
Q: How can I touchup and go from a pretty and appropriate look for the office to something a little more dramatic for evening?
A: Try Cap Ferrat Trio Eyeshadow. It’s subtle but sexy and gives a season’s worth of eye looks for summer. The blue will completely transform you. Or, apply a bright red lip shade! It’s easy and can dramatically change your look.
Q: I need help with blending eyeshadow so I can create a subtly shaded look. Are there certain brush techniques and tools I need to use to achieve a perfectly blended eyeshadow look?
A: Always start with ‘Pro Prime’ Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base – it provides foolproof wear and blendability. Start with your light color all over. A medium color would be put in the contour and the darker color could be added over the medium, in the outer corner as a sideways “V” and along the lash line.
Q: I love your makeup! I also love your concept of lipstick in the form of a crayon.
A: I wanted to create something that was easy to use and easy to apply, with a matte texture. I thought the pencil format was innovative and easy to travel with. The key was to obtain a formula that did not dry out lips but still offered that matte look.
Q: I love NARS!! How can I make my eurasian eyes look bigger?
A: You want Eurasian eyes to look more round – that’s the affect that makes them look “bigger.” When you line your eyes, start from the inner corner and line the entire eye from inside corner to outside corner. You don’t want a cat eye, because it will widen the eye, but by lining the entire eye you create a round shape. Light color all over, medium color blended halfway up and a dark color near the lash line. Use a black eyeliner inside the eye – top and bottom – as well as outside the lashline. Curl your lashes and use a few coats of mascara. It will really open your eyes.
Q: I love NARS’ blush color “Deep Throat.” What inspires the cheeky color names?
A: I find a lot of inspiration in pop culture – cinema, music, art – and in travel. And, I thought it would be fun to give shades an identity. Makeup should not be taken seriously… it should be fun!
Q: How do I make my makeup do the mind blowing transformations that J. Lo’s does?
A: Sculpting! Contouring and highlighting can change the shape of the face entirely. If you study your face, look at the features you want to stand out, and “highlight” them. The features that you want to retract, you sculpt with bronzer.
Q: When is the tinted moisturizer coming out???
A: It is coming out in Spring 2012. I’m excited to be launching them!
Q: What top three shades of lipgloss would you recommend for the summer?
A: Wonder Lip Gloss is great because it’s a quintessential tangerine hue. Triple X Lip Gloss is always one of my favorite glosses to use – alone, or on top of a lipstick. And, finally, Easy Lover. It’s a bright pop of pink that is perfect for summer.
Q: How do you prevent under-eye concealer from creasing?
A: A good primer! Once you have applied the primer of your choice, apply concealer with a concealer brush for a blended affect and then set it with loose powder. It will stay put all day.
Q: What are your top three beauty tips of all time?
A: There are no rules to makeup – just have fun and play with color and texture. You can always take it off if you don’t like it.
Nars and PHYTO Hair Care teamed up backstage at Phillip Lim to create a “modern female dandy”—a look that combines elegance and strength.
Lisa Butler for NARS starts with using the new spring 2011 NARS Sheer Glow Foundation to give a wash of color on the face. She did lots of sculpting on the cheeks with different tones of the foundation. On the lips, she used Spring 2011 NARS Madere Pure Matte Lipstick and Hoolywoodland soft touch shadow pencil on the eyes.
LIsa wanted a sheer, clean look; so the key here is tailoring the makeup choices to the skin tone.
Odile Gilbert, Lead Stylist for PHYTO created a chignon on the back of the head. She wanted to keep the look simple, so she created a side part in the front and left some hair out loose in front. She wanted the models to look like they had casual but pretty, day-off hair. Odile used PHYTO ‘PhytoVolume’ Actif Volumizer Spray and PHYTO 7 Daily Hydrating Cream in the hair to achieve this look.
Lead NARS artist backstage Diane Kendal, designed a look that emphasized glowing skin. She wanted the skin to look lit from within. Thakoon’s line for Spring 2011 looks like it’s inspired by a fairytale, so Diane went for a glowing, yet sculpted, makeup.
The key with this look is to use colors close to your skin tone but with a golden hue to add luminosity. Diane used taupe eyeshadows to contour the eyes and finished with a strong brow. She kept the lips a matte nude with a little gloss in the center. Lookout for NARS new velvet gloss lip pencils in spring 2011. This look is so wearable for everyone.
For hair, Didier Malige, Frederic Fekkai’s lead stylist, creates a light and tousled look with shape. For Thakoon’s spring show, Didier uses the following products on the models’ hair: Fekkai Full Blown Volume Styling Whip and Fekkai Coiff Ocenique Tousled Wave Spray.