There’s the common adage that you know you’ve made it when you can go by one name. Dropping the surname signifies that your celebrity has reached household status.
Depending on the zip code (but definitely if it starts with a ‘9’ and a ‘0’), NARS international lead makeup artist Uzo has achieved that level of fame. Uzo chisels cheekbones on Kim (Kardashian) using a beauty blender, she gives Kirsten (Dunst) a rosy glow with highlighter and she has prepped models as super as Naomi (Campbell). So catching up with her backstage as she groomed the lovelies before the Novis show was a real delight, especially when we saw the berry-colored pouts she was painting on the models.
Uzo told us that the matte crimson and satiny magenta lips—pop-art puckers—were the real stars of this look. These high-impact mouths were set off by very polished skin and a refined smoky eye. The bold florals, plaids and color blocking of the Novis collection inspired Uzo’s equally arresting makeup.
GET REAL LIPPY: HERE’S HOW
As our fearless editor-on-the-ground, Laura Cassidy, reported yesterday from the front row of Rodarte, Kate and Laura Mulleavy’s Spring collection was inspired by The Spirit of the Beehive, a 1970’s Spanish film with two young sisters (and their charming childlike imaginations) at the heart of the story.
Runway image: Indigital Images
All Backstage Images: Masha Maltsava
To play off the youthful and dreamy vibe of the collection, James Kaliardos at NARS created a makeup look that’s fresh and radiant—but it’s not about going bare-faced. The trick is his genius combination of products to get a natural glow. Because some of these items won’t be available until February 2017, we substituted your best bets for the here-and-now.
THAT’S THE SPIRIT: HOW TO GET IT
Photos by Masha Maltsava
On the runway the models wore deconstructed button-up shirts and board shorts; backstage you could find them all in Alexander Wang–themed airbrush tees as they got done up to look like they’d just spent a day surfing on the California coast, where the sand and saltwater lovingly teased their hair into mermaid waves and the sun softly kissed their cheeks.
NARS lead artist Diane Kendal tells us how the day-at-the-beach look was done.
SURF’S UP: GET THE LOOK
Let us catch you up on a handful of our favorite new things in the world of beauty at Nordstrom. From NARS’s covetable fall collection to Bobbi Brown’s handpicked favorites in one super-portable palette, here are six of the best new things out there right now.
SEE WHAT’S NEW TO ♥
This post first appeared on our Beauty Blog.
NARS artist James Kaliardos left it all up to the lip when making a statement Tuesday at the Rodarte showcase.
A BEAUTY MASTERCLASS: READ MORE
The Marc Jacobs show has long been known as the finale of New York Fashion Week, so it’s no wonder his is one of the most highly anticipated—and buzzed about—shows. We were doubly lucky to not only get the backstage details on the look created by NARS, but to get those details from Mr. François Nars himself —the makeup legend and mastermind of the Marc Jacobs beauty look.
SEE HOW NARS CREATED THIS LOOK ON OUR BEAUTY BLOG >
Final runway look at Creatures of the Wind
We admit it—we’re suckers for all things that sparkle, shimmer or bling—so imagine our delight to walk backstage and see a dramatic, heavily glittered eyelid at Creatures of the Wind today.
SEE HOW TO CREATE THIS LOOK ON OUR BEAUTY BLOG >
“Delicate, refined beauty” were the words renowned makeup artist James Kaliardos used to describe his stunning makeup creation for NARS cosmetics at Rodarte today. We immediately noticed light literally bouncing off the model’s skin, which made us wonder—it’s the middle of winter, how is skin this pearlescent even possible? That was our first moment of wonder. The second happened when we saw the gorgeous glint coming from the models’ eyes. Being the beauty girls that we are, we flocked for a closer inspection. We were delighted to see sparkle underneath the eyes and just knew: this look was our spirit animal.
READ MORE >
It happens to all of us: you’re having a great time, stay a little later than planned—and indulge in a few extra sips of champagne. Beauty Stylist Marine Sargsyan from Nordstrom The Grove has a few tips and tricks that she says will “fool everyone into thinking you got a full night’s worth of beauty sleep.” Here’s her recipe for curing a beauty hangover.
1. Water, Water and Water: It’s key for a healthy glow, so keep your skin hydrated. Up your water intake throughout the night, before you go to bed and when you wake up. I add a mist to the mix. Mario Badescu has a refreshing, hydrating spray I love. Formulated simply with fragrant herbal extracts, aloe and rosewater, it’s a pleasant pick-me-up for dehydrated, tight and uncomfortable skin. Perfect for the morning after a long, fun night!
2. De-puff and Refresh: Use an eye cream that will help with puffiness and the look of fatigue. I am currently obsessed with Algenist’s eye renewal balm. This eye cream will not only help decrease puffiness, it will also hydrate the eye area. Alguronic acid, vitamin C, caffeine, cucumber, aloe and green tea extracts help to recharge your appearance all day. Bonus: it’s perfect for men and women.
3. Beige Fake-Out: Here’s a great beauty secret for a more wide-eyed look: Use a beige-colored eyeliner in the waterline. Why? This will help your eyes look brighter and more awake. Smashbox has a great eyeliner that really does the trick. Plus, it’s a self-sharpening eyeliner, so you get a precise tip every time.
4. Divert Focus to Where You Want It: Start by curling your top lashes and then load them up with your favorite mascara. The trick is to only apply mascara to your top lashes to draw attention away from any puffiness below. Lancôme Hypnôse Drama is one of my go-to mascaras for volume, length and curl. It’s a triple threat and just the thing for the morning after.
5. Bronzer and Blush: Give your skin the look of a beautiful glow by applying bronzer to the perimeter of the face and blush only on the apples of your cheeks. The NARS blush and bronzer duo is not only compact, but perfect for both early mornings and late nights!
Inspiration for the Creatures of the Wind S/S 2015 show was ‘undone tomboy,’ so makeup had a cool, wearable, boyish vibe.
READ MORE >