Asking for a Friend: What to Wear to Bike to Work?
Biking to work–a great option for those who are able–sharpens body and mind. You show up feeling like Superman. But what to wear to bike to work? The main idea is to be comfortable on your commute, then duck into a dark room to switch out your sweaty shirt–and emerge like Clark Kent. Senior Stylist Jodi Taylor helps us consider this transitional gear.
Photos by Matthew Sumi
- Bring a backpack with a clean button-up shirt inside. Whatever you went through on your bike ride, you put on the shirt and it’s like it never happened.
- Anticipate wrinkles in your pants and choose a pair which look good when they’re less than pristine, like dark jeans or lightweight chinos.
- Temperature swings require layers such as jackets, vests and hoodies. Give yourself options. The backpack comes in handy here.
- Comfortable footwear is crucial. When in doubt, grab sneakers.
- Wear a helmet: not up for negotiation!