If accentuating the talented Adam’s apples of men like Michael Fassbender, Bryan Cranston, Paul Rudd and Jake Gyllenhaal on the cover of GQ is any indication of success in the neckwear industry, Chicago brand The Tie Bar (and its stylish neckties, tie clips and pocket squares, which start at a whopping $15) isn’t doing half bad.
Keep reading for 5 shirt-and-tie combos compiled by Jaime Fernandez, our Men’s Furnishings Buyer.
Just in time for Christmas, and exclusively at Nordstrom, The Tie Bar has released a new collection of ties cut from even higher-caliber cottons, silks and linens than their standard variety (which are quite nice in their own right). Dubbed EDIT by The Tie Bar, the new offering raises the stakes from $15 to $25—a mix of quality and economy that makes these an ideal gift for every man on your list, from the most discerning dad to a fresh-out-of-college nephew. Below, Fernandez picks his five favorites and describes how he’d wear each one:
1. The Devil’s in the Details. “This tie is great because people can’t immediately tell what the print is, and they’ll keep looking until they figure it out. Reminiscent of Jack Spade’s explicit tie from 2010…”
Shop: EDIT by The Tie Bar pinup-print tie | HUGO slim-fit dress shirt | Theory leather moto jacket
2. Connect the Dots. “I love a knit tie due to its versatility. Wear it casually with a white oxford and jean jacket, or dress it up with a blazer and even a suit.”
Shop: EDIT by The Tie Bar knit tie | BOSS Hugo Boss slim-fit dress shirt | HUGO extra trim-fit blazer
3. Eye of the Tiger. “Camo! It keeps on going, but this spring you’ll notice the pattern evolving from what you’ve seen so far. This one is a tiger-stripe camouflage. I’d wear it with skinny grey trousers, a slim button-down and a jean jacket.”
Shop: EDIT by The Tie Bar camo tie | 1901 slim-fit dress shirt | Levi’s ‘Trucker’ denim jacket
4. Hawaiian Punch. “Another print we’re seeing a lot of is this Hawaiian floral. I say if you’re going to do it, do it. I’d wear it with this cardigan—if you don’t have a slim, grey linen suit around, that is.”
Shop: EDIT by The Tie Bar floral tie | 1901 slim-fit dress shirt | Rag & Bone shawl-collar cardigan
5. Fond of Fronds. “If the Hawaiian print is too much, go half way between that and the tiger camo with this blue/green leaf print. Wear it with a solid shirt and navy suit to your Monday business meetings.”
Shop: EDIT by The Tie Bar leaf-print tie | 1901 trim-fit dress shirt | Topman skinny-fit blazer