Good to know: Every Nordstrom store is staffed with expert Personal Stylists, who can help you look amazing at an important event, locate the perfect gift, or just keep you up-to-date on the essentials you need to stay current each season. Their services are free of charge, so don’t hesitate to book an appointment today.
For this month’s installment of our Personal Stylist blog series, three female stylists from our flagship store in Downtown Seattle—Christie Coover, Nicole Jackson and Lisa Proko—fill us in on the five key items they’d love to see every man master this season.
1. Bold Color. “It’s fun to see guys wearing brights such as yellow, red, orange, and blue. This trend works in knitwear, linen, denim, even leather. If you’re nervous about executing it properly, relax. Just pair your one bright piece with neutrals—khaki, taupe, navy. Works every time. Ying and yang.” [Above: John W. Nordstrom Cotton Blazer]
Todd Snyder Sweatshirt | Gilded Age Jeans | The North Face Jacket
J. Press York Street Jacket | Grayers Pants | Penfield Jacket
SHOP MORE: BOLD BLAZERS | BOLD COLOR IN THE RAIL
2. Pumped-Up Kicks. “With our love of brights right now, we love to see color on guys’ feet, too. This looks great beyond sneakers—think boat shoes, oxfords, loafers. Speaking of boat shoes, we’re kind of obsessed. Such an easy alternative to the sneaker. A high-quality shoe with your suit is also a must—try stepping it up with a wingtip or double-monk slip-on. Women take notice when you care about the details.” [Above: John Varvatos Star USA Canvas Buck]
Cole Haan Penny Loafer | Oliver Sweeney Double-Monk | Sperry Top-Sider Boat Shoe
SHOP MORE: LOAFERS | MONK STRAPS | BOAT SHOES
3. Jeans That Fit. “Similar to a great-fitting suit [see below], women want to see guys get a spot-on fit with their jeans. Jeans are such a staple because you can wear them so many ways: Dress them up with a blazer and skinny tie, or throw them on with a soft T-shirt and hoodie. Either way, have a salesperson help you find the fit works best for your build. Pick up multiple kinds (colorful, white, skinny, destroyed) so your denim doesn’t start to look like a uniform.” [Above: PRPS 'Rambler' Slim-Fit Selvedge Jeans]
AG Jeans | Levi’s Made & Crafted | Scotch & Soda
Nudie | Diesel | DL1961
SHOP MORE: MEN’S JEANS
4. A Well-Tailored Suit. “There’s a quote floating around Pinterest right now that says, ‘A well-tailored suit is to women what lingerie is to men’…And we agree! Nothing says sharp, smart, and confident like a great-fitting suit. It’s timeless. For a proper fit, your suit jacket should hug your shoulders. Try on a size smaller than you think you are, just to see how it fits. We like a slim lapel best. It’s fun to see guys do something custom and unique to show their style, like add a ticket pocket or wear a colorful pocket square.” [Above: Hugo Boss Trim-Fit Suit]
Joseph Abboud | Canali | Hugo Bos
SHOP MORE: SUITS & SPORTCOATS
5. Eye-Catching Patterns. “Some men might be hesitant to mix patterns together—but we say go for it! As long as you vary the scale and color, you should be good to go. For beginners, feel free to start slow: Same rules apply as with bright colors, just pair your pattern with neutrals so it’s not overwhelming.” [Above: Zanerobe Shirt]
Zanerobe Shirt | Polo Ralph Lauren Shorts | Burkman Bros Shirt
Insight Shorts | Bonobos Shirt | Theory Shorts
SHOP MORE: CASUAL SHIRTS | SHORTS
— — —
Nicole Jackson • Christie Coover • Lisa Proko
SHOP MORE PERSONAL STYLIST PICKS FOR MEN
…And call 1.877.543.7463 or click here to connect with a Personal Stylist near you.