For us makeup lovers, Halloween is a favorite night to get a little crazy with our brushes. Here at Nordstrom, we have an army of super-talented makeup artists and Beauty Stylists, so we met with a couple of them—along with some up-for-anything co-workers—for a mini photo shoot to create four Halloween makeup ideas. From amping up the volume on glam to letting the imagination (and eyeshadow) run wild, we’re sharing each this week to inspire getting into the spirit this October 31.
Our second look goes rogue with Krista Fredricks, one of our web designers. The lead artist at our Charlotte Tilbury counter, Rachael Craig, took charge of turning up the volume on Tilbury’s ‘The Rebel’ look. A bold red lip amps it up without taking things too far, which makes it a perfectly versatile idea for almost any costume you can dream up. Team Tilbury has all the steps below for getting a little (or a lot) rebellious.
1. Prepare the skin with Charlotte’s Magic Cream, massaging the product into the skin, and then apply Wonderglow for a golden glow. Use The Retoucher on targeted areas, such as redness, blemishes and dark circles, tapping the product onto the skin for heavier coverage. Use Air Brush Flawless Finish with the Powder & Sculpt Brush tracing down the T-zone and under the eyes to eliminate any extra shine.
2. Now that you have a flawless base, take your Brow Lift and use the brush end to comb the hairs upward, revealing their natural shape. Then fill in the brows with fine strokes in the direction of the hair growth. To accentuate and lift the arch, use the central highlighter across the bottom of the brow.
3. Take your Luxury Palette: The Rebel and apply the Prime shade to the entire eyelid using the Eye Blender Brush. With the Eye Smudger Brush apply the Prime shade to the inner corners to open and brighten the eyes. Nestle the Enhance shade in the socket with the Blender Brush, depositing the color back and forth in a “windscreen wiper” motion. Then use the Eye Smudger Brush and apply the Enhance shade along the upper and lower lashline. Next apply the Smoke shade back and forth from the outer corner of the eye, into the socket and along the upper lashline. You can use the Pop shade as a light wash across the lid or use more of the product and bring the green along the lower lashline for amped-up glamour.
4. Apply Rock ‘n’ Kohl in Bedroom Black along the lashline, stopping three-quarters of the way along to slightly kick out the line and create a feline flick. For extra elongation drag the pen down to a point on the inner corner. Next line the waterline joining with your flick on the outer corner.
5. To define your facial framework, use the Sculpt shade of Filmstar Bronze & Glow. Use the Bronzer Brush in large circular motions along the cheeks, across the bridge of the nose and on the corners of your forehead. Suck in your cheeks and carve out killer cheekbones with the Powder & Sculpt Brush, bringing the brush down to define the jawline. Use the highlighter on top of the cheekbones, down the nose and lightly across the lips.
6. Define the lips with Lip Cheat in Kiss ‘n’ Tell. Look into the mirror and smile, tightening the skin on the lips to see exactly where to apply the pencil. Starting on the outer corners, trace the liner just outside the natural lip line. This will help cheat a fuller pout, create perfect symmetry to the lips and prevent lipstick bleeding.
7. To use K.I.S.S.I.N.G Lipstick in Love Bite you may apply the product straight from the bullet or use the Lip Brush. As the brush is squared off it helps give precision on the outer corners and perfectly angles your cupid’s bow. Use Lip Lustre in Hall of Fame for a glossy patent shine that will dial up your pout.
8. To finish off the eyes use Full Fat Lashes Mascara, depositing the product in the root of the lashes to give the eye as much lift as possible. Elongate the eye by using the wand at an angle, dragging the corner lashes outwards. For the bottom lashes, turn the wand vertically and use the tapered end to coat each lash.
9. Now that you have the perfect lip you can see how far you need to take the blusher. Swish the Blusher Brush around the outside shade of your Cheek to Chic: First Love and apply in big circular motions along the cheekbones. Use the central Pop shade on the apple of the cheek to enhance the color.
Photos: Jeff Powell | Makeup: Rachael Craig