Our beauty trend editor Kate Fannin shares 8 kinds of products and her tips to get your skin healthy and glowing this winter.
I admit it—sometimes I put my face above an open dishwasher just after it’s finished, close my eyes, enjoy the steam and imagine I’m in a fancy spa in the snowy mountains of Switzerland (this also works while steeping tea*…just be sure your face is clean, at a safe distance and you can assure any doubting onlookers that it’s all for your health).
With the overindulgent holidays behind us, we all feel a little over-glittered and a lot under-hydrated, so January is the perfect time to “plump up” your skin care (pun intended). Along with my “DIY facial,” here are a few other ideas that will help your skin detox, refresh, rehydrate and get prepped for spring beauty trends (kitchen steaming optional).
Me visiting one of the many amazing glaciers in Iceland last year!
1. No need to overthink your cleanser with Dr. Dennis Gross’s new Color Smart Cleanser—it literally changes colors as it’s working! Plus, it’s an anti-ager that’s loaded with vitamin C and antioxidants (in case you haven’t hit reset on your diet just yet).
2. If you haven’t tried the new cream masks, start now! They’re easy to use, feel luxurious (even if you’re not at a Swiss spa) and seriously jump-start much-needed hydration. Try Fresh Black Tea Overnight Mask, La Mer Lifting and Firming Mask or GlamGlow ThirstyMud.
3. Didn’t get the gotta-have-it exfoliating tool you wanted for Christmas? Gift yourself! This sonic savior is a non-negotiable in every skincare regimen (I swear it’s taken seven years off my face!). Clarisonic and Clinique both have really good options, and this investment will pay off almost immediately, I promise!
4. Keep your body lotion in the shower and apply it before you towel off; it’ll be nice and warm and absorb even better on damp skin. Try Bliss Body Butter (zingy lemon & sage wakes you up in the morning), Laura Mercier Ambre Vanillè (the perfect balance of spice and soft vanilla) or the cream version of your favorite fragrance—Dior, YSL, Chloé and CHANEL all have options.
5. As a multitasker devotee (and lip balm addict), all-in-one balms are my new best friends. Apply one to your lips and cuticles before bed. Check out the classic C.O. Bigelow Rose Salve or the lovely Aerin Beauty Rose Balm.
7. Thirsty skin doesn’t take kindly to foundation without a good primer, and the primer water from Smashbox couldn’t be easier because it’s in a spray (genius!). You can use it before applying foundation and even over makeup for a quick refresher during the day.
8. As a finishing touch to your newly velvety skin, tap on a bit of HOURGLASS Ambient Powder to the tops of your cheeks. It’s just the right amount of subtle glow that’s pretty, not sparkly.
*Here’s what’s on my bathroom counter at home. Incidentally, Aveda’s comforting tea is pretty amazing to drink and to steam with. I’m not a big tea-drinker, but this one got me hooked, and I love drinking it from that pretty teacup—a cherished possession from my grandmother.
And that’s my take,