We love a great blowout, which is why we’re so excited to have all the hair care and styling products from Drybar available at Nordstrom. Now we can all snatch up the genius line created by founder Alli Webb for blowing out some gorgeous locks right at home. Webb gave us some of her time to tell us about starting her company, her top five Drybar favorites and how to get the perfect results at home.
Hi Alli! Tell us a little about your background. What was the idea behind Drybar, and how did it get started?
While growing up, I always struggled with my naturally frizzy, curly hair, and longed for a place that would happily blowout my hair at a price I could afford. I ended up becoming a professional stylist in my early 20s. In 2009, after being a stay-at-home mom, I started a mobile blow drying business, Straight at Home. During that time, it occurred to me that I was not alone in my quest—there was a huge hole in the market for a place to get great blowouts, in a fun, beautiful environment at an affordable price. I realized I needed to do this. So I partnered with my brother, Michael Landau, and my husband, Cameron Webb, to open our first location in Brentwood, California. We never dreamed it would turn into what it has.
We love the positive, inclusive vibes of your company’s 10 core values and beliefs. What philosophy guided you in picking them, and if you had to sum them up into just one sentence, what would it be?
Life is too short to work someplace you don’t believe in, and where you can’t be yourself. Our parents ingrained that in us, and we’ve always thought of Drybar as an extension of our family! Drybar’s success is due to the hard work and dedication of us all coming together for one overarching goal: to make women feel great.
Your products and services are all named after cocktails and adult beverages (Dirty Martini, The Cosmo, Southern Comfort, etc). What inspired the theme?
While we were developing the whole bar concept, naming hairstyles after drinks seemed like such a fun way to order your favorite style off the “bar menu”. Our clients really love it!
Speaking of cocktails, what’s your all-time favorite?
I am most definitely a Mai Tai girl.
What are your top five picks from the Drybar line right now, and why do you love them?
1. 3-Day Bender Curling Iron: I love this curling iron because it gives a seriously perfect wave! It uses NanoIonic technology to smooth the cuticle, setting curls in place—all while helping with frizz control.
2. Bay Breeze Hydrating Shots: Like many of our Drybar ladies, I love getting lots of blowouts and being blonde, which means a lot of heat styling and coloring. So having a weekly hair shot is an absolute must for me.
3. 100 Proof Treatment Oil: It’s a go-to product for me because it adds so much shine, plus it replenishes dry, damaged strands and also helps control frizz and flyaways.
4. Triple Sec Texturizer: Triple Sec gives amazing texture! It’s super popular in our shops with our stylists and clients because it adds tons of volume and texture, and the scent leaves my hair feeling super fresh and clean.
5. Detox Dry Shampoo: This is one of our bestsellers and for good reason. There’s no better way to make a blowout last than a great dry shampoo with a heavenly scent!
So tons of guys may not start getting blowouts anytime soon, but they’re definitely starting to care more about their hair and embrace longer lengths. General thoughts on: #manbun #manbraid?
I love a good man bun…and have seen a lot of men sporting braids lately. I’m into it.
In all your experience as a pro stylist and founder of Drybar, what advice do you find yourself always giving?
One piece of advice I like to give is to not let perfect stand in the way of progress. I am a stickler for things being just so, but I’ve learned sometimes you just have to take a leap and perfect the little details later.
Last question! Can you tell us any secrets to the perfect at-home blowout?
Take your time! Most people rush through their blowouts, but it only takes a little time and effort to get pretty hair. If you put the time in, the blowout can really last, saving you more time in days to come.