Nobody really wants to talk about acne. But that doesn’t help solve any problems, so let’s just face it. Whether you have the occasional blemish or more of an ongoing problem, here are our top five tips to prevent and treat acne breakouts.
1. Get in good habits! Cleanse and moisturize (yes, even oily, acne-prone skin needs hydration) twice a day. Plus, always wash your face after you’ve been sweating and before bed (no matter how tempting it may be to crash on your pillow after a long day or night out).
2. Be skincare savvy. Using the wrong products for your skin can clog pores or be too harsh, robbing skin of its protective barrier. Look for a gentle cleanser that is fragrance free (fragrance is a common irritant) and contains salicylic acid and/or benzoyl peroxide. These are the top two most effective anti-acne ingredients on the market, and they work to break up dead skin cells that can clog pores. Try Clinique Acne Solutions—results have shown 37 percent clearer skin in just three days on active blemishes.
3. Don’t scrub. Avoid scrubbing your skin harshly with a washcloth, exfoliating glove or loofah. Excessive scrubbing can irritate the skin, causing existing ruptures to become even more inflamed. Instead, gently wash your face with clean hands. Even better, we suggest using an Acne Cleansing Brush Head on your CLARISONIC. This ultra-gentle cleansing brush delivers concentrated flushing of the pores and is safe for use on acne-prone skin.
4. Know what touches your face. Your phone, your hair, your makeup brushes, your hands…your face comes in contact with more than you may realize. Pay attention, and keep these things clean to avoid transmitting bacteria.
5. Take care of yourself. Although there’s no proven link between certain foods and acne, it still makes sense to avoid greasy food and junk food and add more fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains to your diet whenever possible. Keeping your skin and body hydrated by drinking lots of water is also smart. And don’t forget: regular exercise is good for your body, and so is taking time to relax! What better excuse for a Nordstrom Spa day?