Sun-kissed skin and beach hair usually mean summer has officially arrived! If you’ve got the tan down, show your tresses some love and make a wavy-chic statement.
This year’s beach-wave look is textured yet slightly windblown—think Gisele meets Kate Hudson.
To get this look, you will need three essential things: a curling iron, a root-lifting spray and a wide-tooth comb. And it doesn’t hurt to add a spritz of weightless shine so your locks glimmer in the sunlight. If your hair is dyed, you can save the color with protective spray applied before sun exposure.
Celebrity hairstylist Sarah Potempa has taken the work out of getting this style right with her ‘Beachwaver,’ a curling iron that rotates in both directions to give you waves with the touch of a button. Curl large sections of hair, but don’t wrap the ends around the barrel so the curls come out loose and messy rather than tight.
Ride the wave in style using: SARAHPOTEMPA ‘Beachwaver’ Styling Iron, Living Proof ‘Full’ Body Boosting Root Lifting Spray for All Hair Types, blowPro ‘time to shine’ 3-D illuminating mist, B. the Product ‘Sun Out’ Protective Spray & Mason Pearson Rake Comb
Check out more summer chic dos in our Beauty on the Spot guide.
Toss that “dog days” misnomer into the pool: these easy, breezy hairdos offer maximum style with minimum prep (because who wants to spend even more time with heat?)—to make it a summer of loveliness.
The Beachy Bob: Summer-ize your shoulder-length tresses with soft waves.
1. For the texture that’s key to this look, use soft pomade warmed in your fingers and rake it through your hair before blow-drying. We like: blowpro mane tame soft pomade
2. Starting 2 inches from your part, use a curling rod to create soft, loose curls. Alternate directions for the most natural look; run your fingers through the curls to make some waves. We like: Sultra The Bombshell Oval Rod Curling Iron
3. Use a humidity-blocking hairspray to keep your waves wilt- and frizz-free. We like: Living Proof Hold Humidity-Blocking Flexible Hairspray
A Breezy Bun: The ubiquitous up-do goes low and loose.
1. Use an ultra-fast blow dryer, focusing on your roots to pump up the volume. We like: T3 Featherweight 2 Dryer
2. Spritz dry hair with texturizing spray to add dimension and shape. Gather your hair at the nape of your neck, then twist, coil and secure with hairpins. We like: OSCAR BLANDI Pronto Texture & Volume Spray
3. Use a flexible-hold hairspray to hold the look and keep wisps at bay. We like: ALTERNA Caviar Anti-Aging Working Hair Spray
Halo Braiding: A carefree, boho look for long hair.
1. Work in relaxing balm before drying for smoother, straighter hair. We like: PHYTO Phytodéfrisant Botanical Hair-Relaxing Balm
2. Backcomb your dry hair to create a slight pouf. Start braids above each ear; tuck them under each other and secure with pins or join them in back with a ponytail holder. Flat-iron the hair below to smooth extra curls and frizz. We like: KeratinPerfect PerfectLight Infrared Smoothing Iron
3. Use a medium-hold, shiny hairspray for a healthy look that stays in place. We like: B. the Product Spray
Check out more summer ’dos and how-tos in our monthly Beauty on the Spot site experience.