Byrdie Editors’ Hair How-To: A Texture Takeover
At Byrdie, we’re obsessed with all things beauty, inside and out. We’re self-described product junkies, and we’re always testing out the latest stuff to see what actually works. Take note: We have a nose for gimmicks. Keep an eye out for our guest posts, where our editors will share everything from what’s worth buying to celeb looks, step-by-step tutorials, and more.
While sleek hairstyles are super-chic and have their moments, we can’t get enough of textured hair these days. Maybe it has something to do with not wanting to fully let go of summer, but in general, textured styles are more laid-back and look best when every strand isn’t perfectly in place. Striving for imperfection? Now that’s a strategy we can get on board with. Also, these gorgeously—and thoughtfully, we should add—messy styles often embrace our natural texture, which is always a good thing.
We’ve chosen three texture styles and mapped out exactly how to achieve them. We like to call them style all-stars because they’re worthy of adding to your arsenal of signature looks. Plus, they’re easy and fun, and only require three products to nail. From the perfect pony to beachy waves, you’ll have these textured styles mastered in no time. ’Do you.
Loose, beachy waves aren’t just for summer. Keep that effortless vibe going straight through fall and winter with this textured and tousled style.
- To get this look, you’ll want to boost texture right from the start. Aveda’s Texture Tonic, formulated with magnesium sulfate and cane sugar to give hair a piecey, fresh-off-the-beach texture, kicks things off. Apply to damp hair.
- If you have straight or slightly wavy hair, you can air-dry or blow-dry while scrunching your hair with your fingers to add definition. If you have curly hair, you’ll want to blow-dry it straight.
- Once hair is dry, use a tapered styling wand like Drybar’s The Wrap Party Curling & Styling Wand to give hair a loose, haphazard texture. To do this, take random sections of hair and wrap around the wand. Start at the ends, but don’t wrap the very tips. Keep them straight for a more modern look. Switch up the direction of the curls and the thickness of the sections for a more laid-back, natural feel.
- To make the look last, flip hair over and lightly spray hair with a flexible-hold spray. Living Proof’s Flex Hairspray will give you a soft, touchable hold. Keep the bottle at least 10 inches away from your hair, and scrunch as you go for a little extra volume boost.
SHOP: Hair Care
Have natural curls? It’s time to celebrate them! Especially now that humidity levels are dropping along with the temps, it’s the perfect time to let your curls shine.
- Mix Aveda’s Be Curly Curl Enhancer with Ouai’s Curl Jelly in the palm of your hand to create the ultimate curl-enhancing cocktail. Apply to damp hair and, working in sections, distribute the products all the way through from roots to ends. Use your fingers or a wide-tooth comb.
- Next, you can let your hair air-dry, but if you’re impatient or in a hurry (and when are we not in a rush these days?), the Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer will be your new best friend. This splurge-worthy tool is arguably one of the most advanced on the market, and it’s especially great for curls because it minimizes heat damage and dries hair crazy fast. Grab the diffuser—designed to evenly disperse heat around each curl—and work in small sections. Pro tip: avoid frizzy flyaways by setting your dryer to the lowest speed you can get away with.
You’re finished, but if you need a bit more definition, use a curling wand. You don’t have to do your entire head; doing just a few pieces around your face can make a big difference.
SHOP: Hair Care
The perfect pony is an easy, breezy style that keeps hair back and in place all day. No touch-ups required.
- Apply a small amount of Moroccanoil Treatment to damp hair. Distribute from roots to tips, but remember: a little goes a long way. You want the Moroccanoil to work its magic and make hair shiny, not greasy.
- Blow-dry using a paddle brush (we love Aveda’s lightweight wooden one) to smooth strands.
- Working in small sections, use a flat iron to add some texture to the hair and give it a loose, modern bend. Just keep the ends straight. The plates on GHD’s Platinum Styler maintain the perfect temperature—365 degrees Fahrenheit—to minimize breakage and maximize shine.
Backcomb hair at the crown for some height, then gather hair into a low pony. Lastly, wrap a section of hair around the base (secure with a bobby pin) so that the look is a little more polished and intentional—it’s a detail that contrasts with the style’s messy texture.
SHOP: Hair Care