Fall’s Juiciest Lipstick Color Trends (Think Bold Berries and Rich Browns), with Top Picks by Our Beauty Stylists
Already thinking about a new fall beauty makeover? You’re not alone. We’re only three weeks out from the season’s official start date, and—if that’s not serious enough—Starbucks has just rolled out its beloved Pumpkin Spice Latte. So in reality, there’s no better time to do some autumnal lipstick R&D than right now. Some of it might end up smudged across your latte lid, but that’s what reapplying is for.
According to our beauty forecast office, the prevailing lip trends revolve around ripe, lush berry hues and rich, decadent browns—both easy neutral palettes that work on almost every skin tone. For real-person guidance, we asked a few of our Beauty Stylists to share their latest berry and brown lip-color obsessions.
Lydia Deloach, Online Beauty Stylist
1. Lancôme Rouge in Love Lipstick in Chez Prune: If you’re looking for a sultry reddish-brown with a cream finish for fall, you need to try this Lancôme lipstick. Chez Prune offers a six-hour wear time, is feather light and delivers a lovely touch of moisture. This will be your go-to for fall days and nights.
2. Christian Louboutin Velvet Matte Lip Colour in Zoulou: I can’t say enough about this Christian Louboutin lipstick. Zoulou is a beautiful warm brown and is a must-have for any serious collection. This velvet-matte formula goes on smooth, has a four-hour wear time, includes natural oils to keep your lips comfortably moisturized—and the tube can be worn like jewelry to accessorize for any occasion. If you love luxury, don’t forget to get this for fall.
3. Urban Decay Vice Liquid Lipstick in 1993: If you’re looking for a brownish liquid lipstick, look no further. Urban Decay’s 1993 is medium brown with a waterproof, matte finish that anyone can wear and enjoy. Although this also comes in a non-liquid, I love the liquid formula for its non-drying color payoff. Flawless lips are easy when you precisely line and then fill in with the wand applicator.
Eanjee Page, Online Beauty Stylist
1. Smashbox Always On Matte Liquid Lipstick in Miss Conduct: This is a beautiful, deep mulled-wine color for fall. It’s right on trend with having a matte finish, but it glides on without the drying effect of most matte products and has that fantastic long-wearing quality to it. With its doe-foot applicator, you can use the point to get a very precise application for around the lip line.
2. Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15 in Berry: This is perfect for someone who wants the dramatics of a berry color without the commitment. Deeply hydrating with a light wash of color, it’s great as a base for other lipsticks or all by itself.
3. RMS Beauty Lip2Cheek Lip & Cheek Color in Diabolique: This is such a versatile product. Not only can you use it as both a cheek and lip color, you can layer it on to control the depth of color, making it very easy to go from a day to night look with just one item. Use one easy swipe to get a sheer stain or layer for more of an intense look. A little bit goes a very long way, so use a lip brush to help regulate the amount of pigmentation you add to your lips.
Caroline Hassan, Online Beauty Stylist
1. Tom Ford Lip Color Matte in Black Dahlia: One of my all-time favorite lipsticks is from the Tom Ford Matte Lipstick Collection, and my favorite go-to fall shade is Black Dahlia. This decadent lipstick is rich in moisture, has a smudge-proof matte finish and adds a dimension of rich color. The Black Dahlia shade is a stunning deep berry that delivers a touch of glamour to any fall look.
2. Kevyn Aucoin Beauty The Matte Lip Color in Bloodroses: Another must-have for me this fall is this Kevyn Aucoin Beauty lipstick in Bloodroses. Not only does it come in a hydrating, lightweight matte formula, but it’s very luminous and adds a gorgeous burst of deep berry color with each wear. A defining staple for any fall wardrobe.
3. HOURGLASS Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick in Empress: I’m also a fan of a matte-finish liquid lipstick. For lovers of deep aubergine/berry shades, I highly recommend the Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick in Empress. The color glides on with intense pigment and can last all day with exceptionally long wear. It has a sophisticated, velvety texture that goes on creamy and dries to a matte. This lipstick is truly versatile—it can be worn every day or dressed up with eyeliner and mascara for a dramatic look during the upcoming party season.
Naty Lok, Online Beauty Stylist
1. Smashbox Always On Matte Liquid Lipstick in Girl Gang: This is probably my new favorite matte lipstick formula for an all-day eight-hour wear. I have to say, I have never used a liquid lipstick bottle as quickly as I used up this one! And boy, the moment I ran out, I was out the door on the way to purchase my next one. This formula does not budge at ALL, and the colors are to die for. Girl Gang—a head-turning, berry-plum shade—is the perfect bold, fun and flirty color for fall.
2. NARS Velvet Matte Lipstick Pencil in Train Bleu: This one is an absolute staple as far as fall lip products go. I love this for a night out on the town or even just paired with a crisp, clean eye to make a bold statement. The formula is pretty much a two-in-one product (lip liner and lipstick), and it’s easy to apply and super long-wearing. It’s the perfect item to throw in your bag to easily convert your look from daytime to evening.
3. Bobbi Brown Lip Color in Cocoa: When shopping for the perfect brown lipstick, why not bring it back to the brand who first started the trend? Bobbi Brown is definitely my go-to for that perfect wash of brown—their Cocoa shade in Bobbi’s original formula never fails me. It’s a non-drying, full-coverage lipstick that’s super comfortable to wear throughout the day. What’s even better is that they have multiple shades of brown in the collection—and browns are definitely making a comeback.