Friends from the Floor: Celebrate National Lipstick Day with Us on Saturday, July 29, 2017
“Friends from the Floor” is a series dedicated to sharing the latest product obsessions of our Nordstrom sales crew.
Psst! This Saturday, July 29, is National Lipstick Day. Not that we need an excuse to swipe on lip color of any kind (stains, balms, lacquers, glosses—we’ll literally reapply at least two of those before we finish typing this post). So what better way to honor the momentous lip-smacking occasion than to treat ourselves to a gorgeous new shade in a fancy new finish?
To help out all the lipstick lovers among us, we asked a few of our Beauty Stylists to share their current go-to formulas for a busy, social summer. Because, truthfully, every day is a lipstick day.
Rayna Jefferson, Online Beauty Stylist
1. MAC Nude Lipstick in Fresh Brew: I LOVE a nude lip and this is my all-time favorite. It’s a great color if you want a nude that’s not too pink. The formula is lightweight and hydrating with a semi-gloss finish that works for all occasions. I also love to pair it with MAC Richer Lusher Cremesheen Glass for that extra bit of shine.
2. Dior Couture Color Rouge Dior Lipstick in Stand Out: This is my go-to evening summer shade. I think a great orange lip is perfect with bronze, glowing skin. The color is long-lasting and the smooth formula makes it super easy to wear. I also love the look of its fabulous case—in case I have to pull it out and touch up while out on the town.
3. NARS Lipstick in Honolulu Honey: A soft, neutral coral shouts summer. I love this shade for the beach or pool. Its vitamin E formula helps keep lips hydrated, but the color just lasts and lasts.
Sara Cessnun, Online Beauty Stylist
1. SPACE.NK.apothecary Lipstick Queen Saint Sheer Lipstick in Saint Rose: This color pulls slightly brown on me and is perfect when I want to give off a ’90s vibe with my look. The wear time is outstanding, too—it lasts through eating and drinking without reapplication.
2. BareMinerals Gen Nude Matte Liquid Lipcolor in Infamous: My all-time FAVORITE liquid lip. The product is silky smooth and the applicator makes for precise application every time. It doesn’t flake like other liquid formulas I’ve tried and is perfect for natural makeup looks.
3. NARS Lipstick in Shanghai Express: My go-to red. Classy for fancy dinners or galas, but demure enough that the shade doesn’t overwhelm your entire look. It’s just so soft and elegant.
Starla Stallings, Online Beauty Stylist
1. Giorgio Armani Ecstasy Lacquer in Adrenaline: Ready. Set. STAY! This is my favorite long-lasting lip gloss! Bold, bright colors that hold like a stain but have a beautiful glossy shine. This lacquer can be worn alone for a more natural look or paired with a lipstick. The lip applicator makes it super-easy to apply the gloss precisely to your lips. It’s available in 18 different shades, but my current go-to is Adrenaline.
2. Yves Saint Laurent Volupté Tint-in-Oil in Peach Me in Love: No matter the occasion—night on the town, beach trip or running errands, this is a must-have for your makeup bag. It will have your lips feeling soft and luscious while simultaneously looking like they’re drenched with shine! The essential oils contained in this tint keep your lips feeling hydrated. You get very natural shades that give your lips the appearance of wearing a sheer, understated wash of color.
3. MAC Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolour in Personal Statement: Can we say LIPSTICK FOREVER? This liquid stain lasts for 6 to 8 hours! Very lightweight but with full coverage—a little goes a long way, as all the shades are highly pigmented. It goes on wet and finishes as a matte. Helpful tip: Using the MAC Prep + Prime lip primer before applying the stain not only helps the color stay on even longer, but also helps keep your lips soft.
Elizabeth White, Online Beauty Stylist
1. Clarins “Instant Light” Lip Comfort Oil in Candy: This is the perfect treatment for your lips for those summer days in the sun. It helps to hydrate and soothe dry, sun-damaged lips with just a hint of color. With just one swipe, you get natural shine with oils and no stickiness—plus your lips appear fuller. This product complements the fresh, natural look we’re all trying to get in the summer—and you can apply it without a mirror!
2. Jouer Long-Wear Lip Crème Liquid Lipstick in Pamplemousse: When you throw your shades on, don’t forget to slip this lip cream on! The long wear of this lipstick is stellar, and you have awesome color choices to achieve any look with a variety of shimmers and mattes. My personal favorite is Pamplemousse, because it delivers a beautiful nude bronze to finish off your summer glow.
3. CHANEL Rouge Double Intensité Ultra Wear Lip Color in Daring Red: There is always that summer event that requires a little bit more lip—and this is just the lipstick. It stays on all day with its 12-hour wear, which makes it a must when attending those summer weddings. You get a stain on one end and a hydrating, high-shine gloss on the other, so if you prefer to go matte one day, just wear the stain. A simple flip to the other end gives you a full, shiny pout.