Friends from the Floor: Our Beauty Stylists Divulge Their Desert-Island Picks for Flawless Summer Skin
“Friends from the Floor” is a series dedicated to sharing the latest product obsessions of our Nordstrom sales crew.
Being stranded on a deserted island sounds like a brutal mix of sun exposure and skin care minimalism. But it’s the kind of serious scenario you have to pose to really weed out the vanity-table fluff. What are the bare essentials to beautify and protect your precious face under a cloudless, UV-packed sky? Even if you’re just “stranded” at an outdoor café with a glass of rosé?
We asked four of our experts in the beauty field to share their absolute must-haves for gorgeous summer skin. From sunscreens to lip balms to bronzers and illuminators, here are the ones our Beauty Stylists swear are worth the hype.
Sunscreens with Staying Power:
1. Giorgio Armani Maestro UV Skin Defense Primer Sunscreen SPF 50: “This is the holy grail of two-in-one products. It acts as a sunscreen and a makeup primer, which means it helps keep foundation in place for hours while providing serious SPF coverage. Another benefit: its lightweight consistency doesn’t add excess oil throughout the day, making it perfect for normal-to-oily skin.” —RJ Guevara, Online Beauty Stylist
2. COOLA® Suncare Sport Sunscreen Spray Broad Spectrum SPF 30: “If you want a high-quality paraben- and sulfate-free sunscreen that uses certified organic ingredients, the COOLA Suncare line is for you. I love the Piña Colada fragrance—it takes me back to being on a beach in Hawaii. And my skin never feels dry. Next on my to-try list is the Citrus Mimosa scent.” —Nancy Bell, Online Beauty Stylist
3. Clé de Peau Beauté UV Protective Emulsion Very High Protection for Body SPF 30: “This luxe, lightweight sunscreen is infused with hyaluronic acid to hydrate your face and body while protecting you from UVA/UVB rays. Plus, it’s water-resistant for up to 80 minutes, so it’s great for the beach or pool. Another thing I like is that it’s formulated with platinum golden silk and pearl elements that help calm down the look of sun and wind damage.” —Rocky Gutierrez, Online Beauty Stylist
1. Guerlain Terracotta Bronzing Spray: “I love the matte finish of this product once it settles into the skin. It’s a beautiful, lightweight mist that provides even coverage so you get a natural, glowing tan on your face and neck. It also comes in light and medium shades, so you can choose how dark you go. For a flawless application, spray the bronzer onto a foundation brush and blend into bare skin or over your foundation.” —RJ Guevara
2. Clarins Radiance-Plus Golden Glow Booster: “This is one of my favorite items for a boost of color and glow. You just add the number of liquid drops you want to your foundation or moisturizer and immediately get your own customized tint. The results are amazing: a warm, natural, sun-kissed glow. I’m extremely fair and this gives my face and neck the best, most even-looking tan I’ve found so far.” —Michelle Leonard, Online Beauty Stylist
3. St. Tropez In Shower – Golden Glow Gradual Tan: “This is another color product I love. Its unique ‘in-shower’ formula works in three minutes and delivers both moisture and a beautiful, gradual tan for upcoming summer vacations. The directions are simple and you’ll get an even, streak-free tan with zero orange mess in the shower. About three or four applications should do it. You can also opt for the lighter version if you’ve got a fair-skinned complexion.” —RJ Guevara
1. Clé de Peau Beauté UV Protective Lip Treatment Broad Spectrum SPF 30: “One of my favorites for summer—this is a very high-performance sunscreen for the lips, and its texture is so creamy and hydrating. You can use it alone or as a primer under your lip color. The vitamin E really helps reduce the dullness and dryness of sun-chapped lips. Definitely a must-have.” —Michelle Leonard
2. Shiseido Sun Protection Lip Treatment SPF 35: “I live in Arizona where dry heat means dry lips. I always have the Shiseido Sun Protection Lip Treatment in my purse when I’m out and about. It’s the best for days at the pool because of its high SPF. The application is easy too—just like lipstick.” —Nancy Bell
3. Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25: “This conditioning lip balm is packed with the perfect mixture of SPF and antioxidants to soothe and protect your lips from extreme temperatures and damaging UVA/UVB rays. Its formula melts into the lips without that waxy feeling some lip balms leave behind. And the flavors are very summery; mint, grapefruit and lemon are my favorites.” —RJ Guevara
More Summer Sundries:
1. GLAMGLOW® GLOWSETTER Makeup Setting Spray: “Many of us put a lot of hard work into our makeup, so we want it to last the whole day (and sometimes long into the night). GLAMGLOW created the perfect solution. This hydrating setting spray pairs charged water and caffeine with green tea, red tea and white tea to ‘seal in’ your look and add an instant glow.” —Rocky Gutierrez
2. Charlotte Tilbury Wonderglow Instant Soft-Focus Beauty Flash: “This is another pick of mine that I just recently tried and absolutely fell in love with. This product acts like a primer but combines anti-aging ingredients and light diffusers. It gives the skin a very smooth texture and warm, radiant glow. You can wear this alone or under makeup.” —Michelle Leonard
3. Clarins After Sun Moisturizer Ultra-Hydrating: “After a day at the pool, I always reach for my Clarins After Sun Moisturizer. I usually have two or three of these at home, because I don’t like to run out. It’s super rich and very calming to the skin. Although it’s designed specifically for post-sun exposure, I actually use this product year-round because it’s the best moisturizer I’ve found.” —Nancy Bell