Good Cheers: The Smoke and Heat Cocktail from Our Restaurants
We agree that if you can’t take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. So we’re fine with vacating, especially if we can mix ourselves a fancy cocktail while someone else does the heavy mixing and meal preparation. This smokey, citrus beverage from our restaurants always puts us in an uplifting preprandial mood. Mezcal gives the fruity optimism of the OJ some heft. A skosh of Grand Marnier rounds out the sweet-meets-smoldering flavor. Bonus: the Smoke and Heat is great for brunch, too.
And if no one wants to be in the kitchen, stop by one of our Nordstrom restaurants for a bite and a Smoke and Heat prepared by a professional.
1 1/2 oz freshly squeezed lime juice, strained
1/2 oz Jalapeño Simple Syrup (see the recipe below)
1/2 oz freshly squeezed orange juice, strained
1 1/2 oz mezcal
3/4 oz Grand Marnier
1 scoop ice
1/8 tsp smoked sea salt
1 large format ice cube
1 orange peel
1. Garnish glass with smoked sea salt on half the rim, then add a large format ice cube.
2. In a pint glass add lime juice, Jalapeño Simple Syrup, orange juice, mezcal, Grand Marnier and ice.
3. Cap and shake vigorously about 20 times.
4. Strain cocktail into the prepared beverage glass.
5. Garnish with an orange peel.
4 cups simple syrup
6 oz jalapeños
1. In a blender, add simple syrup and sliced jalapeños.
2. Blend until smooth.
3. Transfer to a clean food storage container.
4. Cover, label, date and store refrigerated until needed.
Photography by Elizabeth Podlesnik
Mixology by Kyrie MacIntyre