Masala Roast Potatoes Recipe from Tastemade’s Vijaya Selvaraju
Just in time for your Thanksgiving plans—whether they be getting together with family and friends or eating turkey in front of the TV—the geniuses at Tastemade have gifted us some yummy holiday dishes that you’ll want to keep in your recipe repertoire.
We started with dessert first, so be sure to check out these delicious nibbles if you missed Amy Lee’s Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake Bites. Now we’re on to the meat and potatoes portion of our holiday feast—or at least the potatoes part here.
Vijaya’s savory tubers add a spicy eastern flavor to your dinner. This easy-to-make side dish is a Thanksgiving staple with a twist that’s sure to please your dining companions.
Masala Roast Potatoes
1 lb. russet potatoes (washed, peeled and cut into quarters)
1⁄2 cup vegetable or canola oil
3 tsp. salt
3 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. Kashmiri chili powder
1 tsp. cayenne chili powder
2 tsp. garam masala
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
Fresh chopped coriander to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Add potatoes to a pot and fill with cold water until just covered. Add salt and 1 tsp. turmeric. Bring to a boil. Once at a rolling boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in a colander, and shake to rough up edges. Set aside to slightly cool.
- Place oil in a baking tray lined with aluminum foil and heat for 5 minutes.
- Combine remaining salt, turmeric, chili powders, garam masala and flour.
- Toss potatoes in spice and flour mixture, then carefully place onto baking tray in one even layer.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, turning the potatoes every 10-15 minutes to ensure all sides get golden and crunchy.
- Garnish with coriander.