Mascara for Every Occasion
Finding the right mascara is a process as complex as the woman who wears it. And one woman can have many social personas, each with her own lash-accentuating preferences. Below, the makeup moments we’ll be stocking up for and the wands—brush, comb and domed—to get us there.
This simple eye look is polished and elegant and lets your lipstick do the talking. Lashes should be long and neat with absolutely no clumps.
1. Lancôme Définicils Lengthening and Defining Mascara: This classic mascara coats the lashes from root to tip with immaculate, inky pigment. The grooved bristles dispense just the right amount of product so you can gradually build volume without clumping.
2. Benefit Roller Lash Curling & Lifting Mascara: Inspired by hair rollers, this mascara opens the eyes with its hook-shaped wand that lifts as it paints. The curved bristles coat each lash individually for a fanned-out effect.
3. Tom Ford Ultra Length Mascara: The stunning black formula is designed to add length to lashes with zero clumps. Apply to the tips for subtle color or coat the lash completely—the smudgeproof formula will last all day long with zero fallout.
The Statement Maker:
This lash trend is a contemporary twist on the ’60s mod. Apply mascara liberally using several coats.
1. Dior Diorshow Pump’n’Volume Instant Volume Squeezable Mascara: Peter Philips used this revolutionary mascara on the spring 2018 Dior runway for thick lashes that look purposefully amateur (see the look above). The makeup artist smeared on several coats of the wet formula, focusing the product on the roots for heavy buildup.
2. Yves Saint Laurent The Shock Volumizing Mascara: YSL’s most volumizing mascara dispenses a heavy dose of intense color. To achieve the spidery look, use the domed side of the brush to build upon your first, second, even third strokes.
3. Urban Decay Troublemaker Mascara: Get big, fat lashes from this thickening formula that curls as it coats. Don’t be shy: this mascara is designed to be layered, which makes it the ideal product for an avant-garde eye.
The Off Duty:
Minimal-makeup days require no-fuss definition on the eyes. Lashes should look as natural as possible and flake-free.
1. Clinique Chubby Lash Fattening Mascara: Don’t let the name fool you: this mascara gives you a clean finish with just one stroke. The “chubby” lash effect comes with a second and third layer, of course, but for makeup-free days, a single coat is all you need for weightless definition.
2. Kevyn Aucoin Beauty The Volume Mascara: This groundbreaking formula contains volume-building fibers that add serious length to lashes without clumping. Apply as much or as little as desired; the formula will hold the shape of the eyelash all day long without breaking down or smudging.
3. RMS Beauty Defining Mascara: This natural formula is made from rich mineral pigments and certified-organic oils, butters and waxes that coat each lash with conditioning ingredients. While lacking the va va voom required for a full-on glam look, this mascara is ideal for easygoing makeup days when subtle color is what you desire.
Smoky eyes are sultry, mysterious and endlessly alluring. Mascara should be glossy and pitch black for drama that is mesmerizing.
1. Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill Classic Mascara: This mascara does it all: adds length, builds volume and creates a sexy, jet-black finish. The patent leather effect is ultra luxe and leaves lashes soft and flexible.
2. Yves Saint Laurent Mascara Vinyl Couture: What sets this formula apart is its intense, deeply saturated color. Lashes look sleek, voluminous and super shiny after just one coat. For shocking drama, mix and match multiple colors from the line to enhance your bold makeup.
3. Bobbi Brown Smokey Eye Mascara: As the name suggests, this kohl-pigmented mascara creates blacker-than-black lashes perfectly suited for a smoky eye look. The unique formula adds volume to each individual lash for fullness you can easily comb through.