Met Gala Beauty: Bella Hadid, Zoe Saldana and Poppy Delevingne’s Looks by Charlotte Tilbury
While it helps to work with some of the loveliest faces in the land, Charlotte Tilbury and her team repeatedly find new ways to accentuate and complement celebrity glamour at every red-carpet event. Even if we’re not going to be wearing a gown anytime soon, we love learning how Team Tilbury accomplishes such stunning makeup.
Here are just three beauties from the Met Gala and how to achieve their glowing looks. Whether you’re in jeans or a gown, when you give face like that, who cares what you’re wearing?
Tonight, model Bella Hadid stunned on the red carpet in a sleek, chic Givenchy gown, complemented with luminous, glowing skin, a sophisticate’s smoky eye, and a gorgeous nude-lip look created by Vincent Oquendo for Charlotte Tilbury.
Here, Oquendo shares the key steps to creating Bella’s red-carpet look:
- To prep her skin and ensure a flawless canvas, Oquendo applied Charlotte’s Magic Cream generously to the entire face, massaging it in with an angel-wing motion. Then, he followed with Wonderglow, creating a flawless soft-focus finish and a perfect base for Magic Foundation.
- To create subtle contour and unbeatable highlight, Oquendo used the red-carpet essential Filmstar Bronze & Glow in Light to Medium, then framed Bella’s face by enhancing her already gorgeous brows with Brow Lift in Cara D.
- Oquendo applied the Enhance shade from Charlotte’s Luxury Palette in The Sophisticate to eyelids as a base; he then used the Prime shade on the inner corners to create a mesmerizing, wide-awake look. Next, he blended the shadows along the lash line to add depth, then lined the lower-lash waterline with Rock ‘N’ Kohl in Eye Cheat, to brighten the eyes. He finished with a single gold stud on the corner of the eye and then a coat of Full Fat Lashes.
- Oquendo then softly applied Beach Stick in Moon Beach to add a healthy warmth to cheekbones.
- To complete the look, he opted for a nude lip by applying Lip Cheat lip liner in Pillowtalk, followed by K.I.S.S.I.N.G lipstick in Stoned Rose to perfect the shape of Bella’s lips.
- As a finishing touch, Oquendo lightly dusted on Air Brush Flawless Finish micro-perfecting powder in Shade 1 to mattify the skin and create a red-carpet-ready complexion.
Zoe Saldana stunned on the red carpet with a futuristic Dolce & Gabbana gown, complemented by a luminous makeup look created by Vera Steimberg using Charlotte Tilbury products.
1. To prep Zoe’s skin and ensure a flawless, poreless canvas, Steimberg applied Charlotte’s Magic Cream generously to the entire face, massaging it in to plump skin and create a lit-from-within glow. Then, she followed with Magic Eye Rescue to smooth the delicate eye area.
3. Then, to create red-carpet contour and gorgeous highlight, Steimberg used every makeup artist’s best friend: Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow in Light to Medium.
4. For eyes, Steimberg applied a wash of color on lids with Eyes to Mesmerise cream shadow in Mona Lisa and Jean, then used the same combination to line the lower lashes for a futuristic, mesmeric shimmer. Next, she lined into the lower and upper lash lines with Colour Chameleon eyeshadow pencil in Bronzed Garnet, scribbling all the way up the lid, then blended the two jewel tones together for a more defined shadow. To enhance Zoe’s eyes and give her a fresh wide-eyed look, she used The Feline Flick to dot between the upper lashes, creating a fuller, false-lash effect. She finished with multiple coats of Full Fat Lashes.
6. Once Zoe was dressed, Steimberg created the illusion of elongated, gilded-looking limbs with Supermodel Body, a slimmer shimmer that acts as shapewear lingerie for the body. It catches the light for a glowing, moisturized finish.
Model and muse Poppy Delevingne was red-carpet ready in a beguiling, bejeweled Marchesa gown and a rock-chick makeup look by Team Tilbury. Bringing a Manus x Machina theme to life with a hypnotizing network of beading and jewels, Poppy straddled both the vintage and futuristic fashion worlds.
For Poppy’s makeup look, Charlotte channeled the flawless skin of a silver-screen siren with a sexy, smoky, silver-grey rock-chick eye. “I love the idea of straddling two worlds–vintage and future,” said Charlotte. My team created a futuristic, metallic rock-chick eye and paired it with an update to the Old Hollywood bombshell lip with my Matte Revolution lipstick in Glastonberry.”
Recreate Poppy’s red-carpet look:
- To prep skin and ensure a flawless canvas, the best-selling Charlotte’s Magic Cream was massaged into the entire face and Magic Eye Rescue was applied to reinvigorate the eye area. Next, a touch of Wonderglow was dabbed on to create a flawless soft-focus finish and that instant “spotlight” effect. This acted as the perfect base for Magic foundation in shade 5—its formula closes pores after application and won’t budge on the red carpet.
- Next, Mini Miracle Eye Wand in shade 2 was applied under Poppy’s eyes to bounce the light off her skin’s surface, faking eight hours of sleep. Then, a light dusting of Air Brush Flawless Finish skin perfecting micro-powder in Fair and Medium mattified the skin to create a red-carpet-ready complexion.
- Brow Lift in Brooke S perfected Poppy’s brows to frame her mesmerizing eyes.
- For that vintage rock-chick look, lashes were lined at the base with Color Chameleon eyeshadow pencil in Black Diamonds, and tRock ‘n’ Kohl eye pencil in Bedroom Black added that rocker vibe. A smoky, silver-grey eye was created with the Luxury Palette in Rock Chic, then finished with Charlotte’s trademark Hollywood flutter using her new mascara, Legendary Lashes (available this month).
- To add unbeatable highlight and subtle contour, the red-carpet staple Filmstar Bronze & Glow in Light to Medium was applied using the Powder & Sculpt Brush to highlight and sculpt Poppy’s beautiful face shape. Her complexion was finished with a swish and pop of Cheek to Chic blusher in First Love, for that luminous glow.
- Finally, lips were lined with Lip Cheat liner in Berry Naughty, followed by the deep-wine hue of Matte Revolution lipstick in Glastonberry.
To complete the look, Charlotte created the illusion of elongated, gilded-looking limbs with her Supermodel Body, a slimmer shimmer that acts as shapewear lingerie for the body, reflecting light for a glowing finish.
SHOP: Charlotte Tilbury