Pep Gay’s Glamorous, Gilded Ladies at Tadashi Shoji | Baskstage Beauty
In his latest collection, Tadashi Shoji proves that power is synonymous with glamour and sexiness. His Fall 2018 runway embodied a fiercely feminine energy—each look that strutted down the catwalk, dramatic and deeply unapologetic.
To complement the strength of Tadashi’s collection, makeup artist Pep Gay was tasked with creating a beauty look that would continue the luxurious narrative of tulle gowns and sequined suits. Gay answered the call with a mesmerizing wash of gold on the eyes using MAC Cosmetics, harkening the elegance of the red carpet, where we can easily imagine Tadashi’s designs gracing the silhouettes of Hollywood A-listers. Just-bitten berry lips finished the look, creating truly beautiful makeup that does not compete with the fashions, but makes them shine. Ahead, we break down the look, so you can recreate it step by step.
- To get the look, Gay applied a base of MAC’s Face and Body foundation using a #187 Duo Fibre brush. To correct blemishes and dark circles, the artist used a minimal amount of Studio Finish concealer, which he applied with a #242 brush for a flawless finish.
- A new cream-to-powder eye color (in the shade Prosper) was applied very lightly all over the lid, up to the nicely defined brow. (To create neat, full brows, try MAC’s Great Brows All-in-One brow kit.)
- For added intensity, a second and third coat of the shadow was applied just to the lid—from the lashes to the crease. Gay notes: the eyeshadow dries very quickly, so it’s important to blend well as you go with the #242 brush. (For a similarly rich, golden eye, Nordstrom recommends using MAC’s Amber Lights eyeshadow.)
- Gay then added a touch of shimmering gold pigment to the center of the lid. The gold color transmits power, but also luxury, which is precisely the inspiration for the Tadashi collection.
- To finish the eye, Gay coated the top and bottom lashes with MAC’s Extended Play Gigablack mascara.
- Though the eye was the star of the show, Gay did not neglect the lips, which were painted a lovely berry color using MAC’s Drunken Cherry lipstick from the Trend Forecast 2018 lip palette. (For a similarly fruity-red sheen, Nordstrom recommends MAC’s Spice It Up lipstick.)
- As a final step, MAC’s Mineralize blush in Flirting with Danger was added very sparingly to prevent the look from being overdone.
SHOP: MAC Cosmetics