Rent Check: Watermelon and Tequila Cocktail Recipe | What’s Cooking, Vancouver Edition
To celebrate our newest store opening–September 18 in Vancouver, Canada—this month we’re showcasing some of our (and your) favorite dishes and recipes that will be coming soon to our 119th store.
There’s officially just under one month of summer left. Squeeze every drop from those last warm, sunny days and savor this cocktail from our Nordstrom bars showcasing flavors that exploit the end of peak watermelon season.
Bright and refreshing with a nice little kick, our Rent Check cocktail features muddled watermelon, freshly squeezed lime juice, floral St.-Germain liqueur and our sweet and spicy jalapeño simple syrup (as seen in our Smoke & Heat cocktail recipe). A seriously tasty way to raise a glass with friends to the end of a beautiful summer.
Rent Check Cocktail
From our Nordstrom Bars
Jalapeño Simple Syrup (makes 1 cup)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
2 jalapeños, sliced 1/4-inch thick, with seeds
1. In a medium saucepan, combine granulated sugar, water and jalapeños. Whisk well and bring to a boil. Once the sugar has dissolved, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, strain in a mesh sieve and let cool completely.
3. Transfer simple syrup to a container. May be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Rent Check (per cocktail)
4 1-inch watermelon cubes, rind removed
1/4 ounce jalapeño simple syrup
1 3/4 ounce Espolón Blanco (or similar quality silver) tequila
1/2 ounce St.-Germain liqueur
3/4 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
Ice for shaking and (preferably extra-large squares) for serving
Garnish (per cocktail)
2 1-inch cubes watermelon, rind removed
Bamboo cocktail skewers
1. Chill a double old fashioned glass with ice and water.
2. In a cocktail shaker, muddle watermelon and simple syrup until juicy.
3. Add tequila, lime juice, St.-Germain and a generous scoop of ice.
4. Cap and shake vigorously 20 times.
5. Discard ice and water in the now-chilled glass, then double strain the watermelon mixture over ice (preferably an extra-large square).
6. Garnish with watermelon skewered on rim of glass. Squeeze lime wedge over cocktail and drop into drink.
Try this recipe and others at a Nordstrom restaurant near you, and find more recipes to make at home in our What’s Cooking series and Nordstrom Cookbooks. Have a favorite dish or beverage from our restaurants or cookbooks that you’d like to see featured? Let us know in the comments!