Tibi’s Runway Beauty Is for Girls Who Want to Have Fun (with Minimal Makeup) | Backstage Beauty
Tibi designer Amy Smilovic envisions spring with a nod to 1980s style, or its un-style, according to Smilovic. For the designer, that period was obviously an energetic era, when fashion wasn’t so prescriptive and serious. Her goal this season was to create something less about perfection and more about authenticity. Her suiting and dresses acted like blank canvases that were lightly adorned with colorful PVC corsets, belts, stripes and straps.
The beauty, led by Bobbi Brown and JINsoon, followed suit. Each model’s look was tailor-made to enhance her specific features without detracting from her unique beauty and that of the clothes. The result? Luminous skin with touches of color, hints of lime green, lilac and tangerine, similar to Smilovic’s accents on her sporty separates and power suits.
Get the look:
Bobbi Brown’s lead artist Cassandra Garcia chose to customize the beauty look for each model—sometimes that meant adding a pop of lilac in the corner of the eye, or swiping a camel color all over. But for every model, Bobbi Brown’s signature glowing skin was an undeniable runway accessory. Below, Garcia’s method for creating a beaming visage.
1. For skin that looks lit from within, prep with Bobbi Brown’s Hydrating Eye Cream and Hydrating Face Cream.
2. Hide blemishes and discoloration with a small dose of the Instant Full Cover Concealer on a Bobbi Brown Concealer Brush. Use sparingly and only where absolutely necessary to cover spots or dark circles. Blend well.
3.To even out the rest of the complexion, use Bobbi Brown’s Skin Foundation Cushion Compact for a radiant and natural-looking finish.
4. Keep the eyes simple. As your base, sweep a layer of Bobbi Brown’s Long-Wear Cream Shadow in Shore over the lid, followed by the Bone and a small amount of Birch on the lower lid. The idea is to add subtle definition without adding too much color.
5. Define the brows using the Perfectly Defined Long-Wear Brow Pencil. Use the brush side to comb the brows upwards before and after applying color.
6. Finish the eyes with a sweep of Bobbi Brown’s Smokey Eye Mascara.
7. Finally, choose the shade from Bobbi Brown’s Crushed Lip Color range that best suits you. Apply a small amount to the back of your hand and use your finger to apply. You are aiming for a stain-like translation of color instead of something full-on. The result should look like your own lips, but better.
SHOP: Bobbi Brown
Get the nails:
To be in line with the bespoke nature of the runway, Jin Soon Choi wanted each model’s manicure to reflect her individuality. Each was asked to choose between a black or lavender shade from the upcoming fall collection (released later this year) and pick her design: two stripes of varying thickness that would run either vertically or diagonally on the model’s index finger.
1. Start by applying JINsoon’s Power & Base Coat for extra hold and smoothness.
2. Paint over the entire nail with the Dew shade. (For a similar, barely there nude effect, we recommend JINsoon’s Tulle lacquer.)
3. For NYFW likeness, choose between Polka Black or Auspicious by JINsoon and draw two diagonal lines across your index finger for subtle, elegant nail art. Repeat on the other hand.
4. Finish the nail with a coat of JINsoon’s Top Gloss & Coat and allow time to dry.