Asking for a Friend: What to Wear to Bike to Work? Part II
Biking to work–a great option for those who are able–sharpens body and mind. You show up to the office feeling like Superman. But what to wear when biking to work? The main idea is to be comfortable on your commute, and then duck into a dark room to switch out your sweaty shirt—and emerge like Clark Kent. Senior Stylist Jodi Taylor helps us consider this transitional gear. (See our first post here.)
Photos by Matthew Sumi
- Bring a backpack with a clean, button-up shirt inside. Whatever you go through on your bike ride—you put on the shirt and it’s like it never happened.
- Anticipate wrinkles in your pants and choose a pair that look good when they’re less than pristine, like dark jeans or lightweight chinos.
- Temperature swings require layers such as jackets, vests and hoodies. Give yourself options. The backpack comes in handy here.
- Comfortable footwear is crucial. When in doubt, grab sneakers. You can also bring a pair of non-bike-friendly shoes in your backpack.
- Wear a helmet: not up for negotiation!