Zella PRO Talks Cold-Weather Motivation
Empower. Inspire. Live the active life with a Zella PRO.
Bar Method instructor and dancer Lilani DeLateur is a Seattle-based Zella PRO who’s sharing her fitness expertise and passion for fashion with active women and the Zella community.
The turn of the year often means changing our lifestyles—eating healthier and jump-starting our fitness routines. Unfortunately, resolutions tend to fade as quickly as tan lines, especially when the alarm is ringing at 5:30am and it’s pitch dark and raining sideways and all you want to do is curl into a tighter ball and hit the snooze button seven times.
We must remind ourselves that the days are getting longer, swimsuit season is almost here—and maybe that half marathon you thought was a great idea is now only three weeks away. As tempting as it is, don’t succumb to the “dark side.” Try these easy tricks I have adopted to get me from November through March (sometimes April) and you’ll avoid having to make up later for slacking off.
1) “Winterize” your workout wardrobe. Whether you are running outdoors or staying indoors doing barre, you will most definitely want the proper attire to keep you dry and comfortable. Bonus points if you can do this fashionably. (Thank you, Zella!)
2) Try a new workout that pretty much guarantees you will be warm, like hot yoga, hot Zumba, swimming laps in an indoor pool or spin class.
3) Make a vision board that includes activities, destinations and healthy inspirations that motivate you to be the best YOU. Spring is just around the corner, and you want to be ready to play!
4) Tune in to your favorite sporting events on TV and be INSPIRED. If you’re lucky enough to have access to ice skating or skiing, carpe diem!
5) Cut yourself some slack. It’s not the end of the world if you decide that an extra hour of sleep sounds more desirable than a 6am cycling class or that going home after work to make a nice hot meal takes precedence over Pilates. Tomorrow is another day, so stay committed to your cause!
6) Sign up for a sports team. Check out local dodgeball, arena soccer or basketball leagues. All indoor, all fun. And if you’re not into sports, turn to the arts. There are a myriad of adult dance classes including ballet, pole and aerial art.
7) Lastly, if you know you won’t be expending as much energy (aka burning calories) as you would like during the colder months, make up for it with healthier dining decisions. A balanced diet with proper nutrition will keep winter colds at bay too!
Winter’s chill is unavoidable for most of us, but it moves along quickly. So gear up (preferably in layers) and get going because spring is approaching.
Modern activewear from Zella gets you ready to sprint, spin and pose in fashionable style that’s perfect for all your fitness activities. Find a Zella PRO near you for complimentary classes, health & wellness tips and more!